2018 T32 Sportline engine replacement

Useful for other users to know what the outcome was?
Apologies, I didn't think it had been read so didn't want to waste anyone's time.
Outline is 2018 Sportline is in for engine and DPF replacement under (extended) warranty. Local dealer have been outstanding. Question related to responsibility for new cam belt (due just as the fault emerged)
Basically the warranty doesn't cover the cam belt but they will not charge labour (as it is part of the process anyway I guess) which is, in my book, more than fair enough as the cam belt and water pump were due anyway so I am having both done.

Apologies, I didn't think it had been read so didn't want to waste anyone's time.
Outline is 2018 Sportline is in for engine and DPF replacement under (extended) warranty. Local dealer have been outstanding. Question related to responsibility for new cam belt (due just as the fault emerged)
Basically the warranty doesn't cover the cam belt but they will not charge labour (as it is part of the process anyway I guess) which is, in my book, more than fair enough as the cam belt and water pump were due anyway so I am having both done.
Thank you for adding this in. I have a 204 dsg with 120k on the clock. Similar age so get nervous when I see posts about engine replacement as I don’t have the extended warranty (as over 100k miles).

Thanks again.

It’s funny ref the cambelt. This is standard practise from VW. Glad you are sorted.

Hi @Vents ….also 18 plate T32…I may have missed the start of this thread…but what went wrong to cause a new engine

Hi @Vents ….also 18 plate T32…I may have missed the start of this thread…but what went wrong to cause a new engine

First flagged up as was using loads of oil. Main dealer did consumption test and it failed hugely due to widely known issue with these engines - so many things were replaced and discussed but I seem to think it was something to do with the EGR degrading causing scoring and in turn excessive oil consumption

First flagged up as was using loads of oil. Main dealer did consumption test and it failed hugely due to widely known issue with these engines - so many things were replaced and discussed but I seem to think it was something to do with the EGR degrading causing scoring and in turn excessive oil consumption
Sounds like the same issue as the CFCA (180PS) engine, odd as I thought the CXEB (204PS) engine was equipped with an stainless steel EGR cooler.

Sounds like the same issue as the CFCA (180PS) engine, odd as I thought the CXEB (204PS) engine was equipped with an stainless steel EGR cooler.
Please don't take what I said there as gospel - my comment above was a precis of many conversations with the main dealer (Breeze van centre - Poole, who were exceptional) throughout the process)
Having owned many of these vans though, it is my understanding that the issues with the 204 are unrelated to the 180 engines so apologies if I have unintentionally conflated the two

Please don't take what I said there as gospel - my comment above was a precis of many conversations with the main dealer (Breeze van centre - Poole, who were exceptional) throughout the process)
Having owned many of these vans though, it is my understanding that the issues with the 204 are unrelated to the 180 engines so apologies if I have unintentionally conflated the two
I realise that the issues are different, it’s a totally different EGR system.
I’ve read about a few 204PS failures due to cylinder wear, obviously there are a few possible causes and the cynic in me says that VW won’t divulge too much.

I realise that the issues are different, it’s a totally different EGR system.
I’ve read about a few 204PS failures due to cylinder wear, obviously there are a few possible causes and the cynic in me says that VW won’t divulge too much.
That's ok then - just wary of how misinformation can spread!

Thanks for the reply @Vents ……

As with all my previous vehicles I check my levels frequently ( oil water …) and add when required….and now use a fuel additive to help clean and raise the Cetane level hoping for cleaner burn ….it’s not a work vehicle so I try to avoid short trips ..so when a regen starts I’ll carry on driving till it’s done
i hope that i never brought a Monday or Friday car…and that component’s VW used are sound ( not wanting too hear “it was a bad batch” ) it’s still low mileage for it’s year 33k (06/18) and it’s a keeper …..the forum is a great help in understanding what lessons you can learn and pass on to others..
I was lucky to buy an ex demo at 4k on the clock…..but I do read that some unlucky drivers buy used vehicle that have picked up faults that dealers don’t always fix ( being that some are better then others)……
I hope that you’re all sorted and can enjoy your van …….Great reading :)

Back