2016 T6 HVAC Issues

monkeymagic

Good morning! My HVAC system doesn't operate as required. Whenever I start the engine no lights illuminate on the dials, but the middle fan dial will allow the fan to increase speed. It will warm up and continuously blow very hot air, sometimes after approx 20 -30 mins the lights come on and I have full operational control. Do I try to find a second hand HVAC unit or is this a lose connection issue. I have a feeling the diagnosis and or pinpointing of the fault could take a long time and new HVAC could be the easiest option. Many thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What model Transporter is it - or more importantly what sort of HVAC unit: climatic or climatronic? A photo will help if you’re unsure.

Have you ever had the dash or stereo out? The first thing, without access to OBDii or VCDS to scan it for telltale errors, would be to check the connections are good at the rear of the HVAC unit as it coming on whilst driving would seem to easily suggest something is loose.

Second-hand units are common on your eBay sites but you run the risk of buying a dud unit - perhaps if the connections show good and a unit exchange is the next step, make sure you have time to order and try the replacement so you’re within the return timeframe.

Hi, no I’ve never personally had the head unit out. But I only got her in November 2023. The touch screen on the unit doesn’t work properly either, so I’m gonna have to replace that as well. It could be a PCB issues that’s temporarily resolved once the unit heats up. I’ll attempt to locate a whole vehicle spare or repair getting broken down and email the seller to see if they’ll remove the HVAC for me. Cheers.
IMG_6157.jpeg

Back