199/ 204 - problematic engine?

Aron

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I was reading through the forums about 204 engines and it looks like they do give some trouble. I was told by the dealer that 199 is the same, has anyone had issues with it?

I can only assume that 150 gives trouble free motoring?

Currently happy T6 102 owner for nearly 40k miles and zero issues.

I don’t see that.
As this forum has a lot of information and is very well indexed in Google etc. it is a magnet for people with issues.
by far the most common issues are EGR related and these are on all engines.

I wouldn’t single out 204/199 as any less reliable.
Dealer sales people will say anything that suits them at the time to make a sale.

it’s best not to start a “mine is better than yours” thread on a forum as they tend to get out of hand…..

Last edited:
The power increase between a 102 2.0L and a 204 2.0L Diesel engine is due to injecting more fuel which requires more air.
The result being a more complex’ bi-turbo instead of single turbo, higher charge air pressure, higher fuel pressures, need for better cooling, piston / cylinder sealing, higher exhaust gas flow……
So in theory there should be a higher risk of failure and when components do fail then it’s likely to be more expensive in some cases.
The last person I would be asking about reliability is a VW dealer, have a look through the Forum but bear in mind that people don’t post when their van’s running well.

I had the bi-turbo engine go on a 4 year old VW Tiguan, full VW service history and it had only covered 30,000 miles. Turbo replaces with a 5k repair bill. I am avoiding the bi-turbo engine on the T6.1 and have ordered the 150 DSG instead

Back