Found 18 inch spare wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellmewhatsnew

T6 Guru
Have upgraded my wheels from 16 inch to 18s and need the right sized spare. I'm hoping someone may have traded up from 18s to 20s and want to sell their spare. If so let me know. I'm in Cambridgeshire so may be able to collect. Within reasonable distance

you don't need a different sized spare so long as the circumference is the same
Thanks for that, that's an avenue I hadn't thought of. Although that will involve a new tyre which may work out more expensive than picking up a spare that's not needed anymore

i just kept the same spare under the van when i changed to sport line alloys, its identical to the stock steels and matches the alloy size. i think thats what everyone does tbh

My spare is 16inch on a 205/55 and I'm now running 18 inch on 255/45 so I would have to check the differences in circumference as I don't think they will be the same

I would guess that 18" wheels will always be pretty wide? Will the spare wheel carrier actually take a wider wheel and tyre? IIRC 255/45/18 is the standard Sportline wheel so is the same rolling radius as the original wheels

Just crawled under my T32 Kombi, it came with 17" Devonports (for Sale BTW, in the sale section).
The spare is a 16" steel, so even VW supply different size spare when it comes with 17" wheels.

I need to check mine then. I thought the T32 had the big brakes? (Mine has) and a 16" won't clear the brakes?
Can anyone confirm that? If so and I've got a 16" steely under my van it will be useless if ever I need it!

Aha.. This will be the one with fewer, but larger holes. In it as well as its a 17" and rated for the '32

I think I'm going to measure the circumference of the spare vs my 18s as it looks like it'll be a tight fit. It would be good to hear from anyone having bought a Sportline addition supplied with 18s to see if they are supplied with an 18 steel

Rolling circumference should be the same but the width might be t0o big for the carrier.

It's definitely worth a check. If VW can't send out vans with armrests and single front seats even when specced and paid for, there is a good chance they could easily whack a 16" spare wheel on a van with 17" wheels and large brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back