140 Euro 5 vs 150 Euro 6

Sideshowrob

VIP Member
I’m looking to buy a used T6 Kombi SWB manual 140 or 150 as a daily driver but put in some miles at weekend going mountain biking or kayaking.

There are a mix of used 140 / 150 available more 140’s than 150 as they’ve been around longer I guess.

What are peoples thoughts on the Pro / Cons of the 140 Euro 5 vs 150 Euro 6?

Currently it would seem like the 140 is a safe bet as its been around a while and from what I can tell has been reliable and returns decent mpg. The 150 is a bit of an unknown as its not been around long.

I’m also considering the merits of a remap in the feature to increase performance and or mpg.

I would be interested people thoughts and appreciate any guidance.

I would go for the Euro 6 simply because I suspect there will soon be new tax regimes to try and get people to move away from older diesels and would expect Euro 6 to be treated slightly more favourably than Euro 5.

When I ordered my van it was specced as the 140 Euro 5 (euro 6 wasn't available in panel vans until around last April/May) but because of the delays it came as the 150 Euro 6 which pleased me because of the above - no issues so far!

I bought used so had to consider what was available and what used prices were like. The EU5 140 was a fair bit cheaper than the EU6 150 so that swung it for me.

There's no doubt that the newer engine will be more future proof, but I hope it won't make a big difference for a good number of years yet - there are still a lot of old diesels around on the roads.

I too, with a Euro 5 Land Rover and a Euro 6 T6 (both of which I intend to keep for many years) hope it won't make a big difference for a lot of years but, it seems that virtually every week there are new news stories demonising diesels and holding them responsible for everything.

If it gets that bad, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a petrol engine put into the T6...

If it gets that bad, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a petrol engine put into the T6...
Yep, I suspect there will be a host of people cashing in and offering diesel to petrol conversions if/when it happens.

Thanks @Davenjo and @Chopman sounds like funds permitting theres no reason not to go Euro 6 150, fingers crossed prices will drop a little in the next month following the plate change.

Yes hoping used / nearly new 66 plates will drop slightly, I'm not sure exactly when in 2016 the 150PS started shipping i'm guess there will be a few 16 but mainly 66.

Last edited:
I think i am right in saying the euro 6 van and combi were available from a 66 plate inwards only, as mine was upgraded to a 150ps when my original build was cancelled on my euro 5 order last year.

I am very pleased with the new 150ps engine especially as it was a free upgrade ;)

Back