12v Tv Powered From Usb?

Barley53

T6 Pro
Hi all, I've just bought a 16" Avtex telly, I get that I can run it off the 240v when hooked up but I'm not sure how to run it when on the road. There's what appears to be a cigar lighter in the cabin, and a couple of usb ports running off the leisure battery that I've been advised will power the tv with the appropriate adapter, but I thought that USB ports only drew minimal power, not nearly enough to power the telly. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Dave.

Is the tv only 240v?

Or 12v too?

Assuming its 240v only, you would need an Inverter.

USB ports would not normally power at TV, but could power a tablet running a tv app.

A3F05E15-7165-4D85-A203-A44481F9B443.jpeg Most Avtex TVs are dual power, mains and 12v.
In the box you should have two different power plugs, one is a 3 pin mains plug which will have a big inline transformer and the second is a plug which goes into your cigarette lighter for 12v usage.
I don’t think you can use a USB socket.

The 12v power supply would look similar to this

Thanks to you both.

Yes the tv is both 12v and 240v, and yes Nigel W I have one of those connectors. Perhaps I'm being foolish but I'm assuming that the cigarette lighter in the cabin will run off the car battery, consequently I run the risk of draining it if I run the tv off it when off-grid?

Thanks to you both.

Yes the tv is both 12v and 240v, perhaps I'm being foolish but I'm assuming that the cigarette lighter in the cabin will run off the car battery, consequently I run the risk of draining it if I run the tv off it when off-grid?
Not foolish at all, very sensible questions.
You are correct the cig lighters in the cab do run off the vehicle battery so not a sensible option other than for brief use. If I were you I would instal, or get installed, some cig lighter power points in the back of your camper wired into the leisure battery - a simple thing to do.

Ah, good on yer. Thanks Nigel W, I was afraid of this. Annoying as it's the dealer who suggested I could buy a USB 12v adapter....

Ah, good on yer. Thanks Nigel W, I was afraid of this. Annoying as it's the dealer who suggested I could buy a USB 12v adapter....
If you hang on a while there are some very knowledgeable folk on this forum who know far more than I do about power supplies. I have never seen a tv running from a USB socket and I wouldn’t think it is possible but.............

USB is only 5v, I’ve never seen an adaptor that plugs into a USB socket and gives you 12v

Edit/ I have now :cry:

Last edited:
@Insert Coin, strangely enough I've got that in my basket, I just don't want to add unnecessary cables to my collection...The dealer got back to me today and stated that the usb's are all 12v. I'm no sparks but if this was the case wouldn't my mobile have exploded under that output? Or do mobiles just draw what they need?

I have the same cable from Amazon to give a go as I only have usb ports from my leisure battery and unfortunately it doesn't have enough power my cello 12v tv , the TV comes on but screen flickers on and off as it's obvious still not getting the correct power needed even with the adaptor , as above states you would need a proper 12v cigarette socket connected to leisure battery , you can also use the dash 12v while you are driving for kids in the back on a journey :thumbsup:

Back