10% incline for Double Front Seat - Why not more than this ?

Alan Ginger

Psychiatric Nurse (retired)
T6 Guru
I have a bracket on my front double passenger seat that enables it to tip forward flat and it enables the seat to recline 10% from the vertical. I would have liked to be able to recline the seat more.

I did a bit of research and spoke to a couple of upholstery companies and found out you can’t recline the seat more than that.

Just wondered if anyone knew why that would be the case ?

cheers Alan

I think 3rd party brackets allow more recline than OEM.
I have the VanKraft bracket on the seat which is still about 10% - I have had a look around. Do you know of a 3rd part bracket in particular? Thanks Alan

Sorry Alan, thought you had the OEM bracket. I think your upholsterer is correct then.
As for why, not sure. Maybe something to do with seatbelt legislation? Pure guess.

From personal experience, one of the characteristics of the increased recline is that the lumber support of the seat is increased, uncomfortably for myself. This is because the seat is thicker at the base than at the top, so it pushes out when reclined beyond the original spec. My best advice is to find someone's seat to try before you buy, but that's tricky, I know.

As for a limit, I can't think why. I thought Vancraft would custom the recline if you asked?

From personal experience, one of the characteristics of the increased recline is that the lumber support of the seat is increased, uncomfortably for myself. This is because the seat is thicker at the base than at the top, so it pushes out when reclined beyond the original spec. My best advice is to find someone's seat to try before you buy, but that's tricky, I know.

As for a limit, I can't think why. I thought Vancraft would custom the recline if you asked?
I will ask and see what they say. Thanks Alan

@Alan Ginger Someone in here mentioned tilting the seat back slightly with washers under the front seat mounting bolts, if the extra 10 degrees is not enough.

that would stop the lumber support coming even more forward for me with the seat swiveled a bit more tilt would be nice but the brackets @ £155

@Alan Ginger Someone in here mentioned tilting the seat back slightly with washers under the front seat mounting bolts, if the extra 10 degrees is not enough.

that would stop the lumber support coming even more forward for me with the seat swiveled a bit more tilt would be nice but the brackets @ £155
Thanks Digger I am not going to put washers under the seat. I was just wondering why the front double seat can’t recline like any other Seat? ( if there is no bulkhead ) Cheers Alan

Thanks Digger I am not going to put washers under the seat. I was just wondering why the front double seat can’t recline like any other Seat? ( if there is no bulkhead ) Cheers Alan
I guess the logic would be that both passengers would have to fight over the recline! So a happy medium makes sense

she gets the passenger seat going.... i get it when we'r there she gets it going home i ll try just a few washers sounds a bit of a bodge but just as long as they are tight will be as good as crash tested ... before i spend out on the bracket. i got a comfy chair in the awning lol

she gets the passenger seat going.... i get it when we'r there she gets it going home i ll try just a few washers sounds a bit of a bodge but just as long as they are tight will be as good as crash tested ... before i spend out on the bracket. i got a comfy chair in the awning lol
When I bought the Campervan the 10% bracket was already on seat. Good the see that you share the driving - as well as the risk with those washers

There was another company outdoor technical who used to make a similar bracket, there’s also only gave another 10 degrees and no adjustment. Perhaps that’s the safe limit of modifying the original bracket

would love to know if the vankraft tilt could be bigger than 10deg, would prefere a single rhd front passengerseat (Heated} fora t62018 caravelle. Any offers?

im sure the bracket has a lock built in so the back or the seat back can tilt fully forward if the chairs is fixed more than 10 degrees it might hinder getting it to swivel easily .... but then release the lock to bring the back up straight just to turn it around may be ...

did anyone get an answer from vancraft?
I went down the route ( rabbit hole ) of trying to make the front double seat more comfortable. Contacted a number of Motorhome and Campervan Seat upholstery companies without success. The companies all wanted me to change to a single seat or the other reason being it would almost require a rebuild of the seat to make it more comfortable and no one wanted to take that task on. No one could tell me why the double seat could only recline 10%. Bottom line ( pardon the pun ) I gave up the task. I have had my van 18 months and I love it. This is the only issue I don’t like.

i did not contact Vancraft. However I will recommence my quest and contact them tomorrow and put their reply on here.

Back