Workshop fit out

Captain Mainwaring

T6 Guru
I am in the process of working out plans for a new workshop. The actual work bench I will build myself but I need a mobile tool cabinet, a couple of metal cabinets for power tools plus large hand tools, and one of those wall mounted storage solutions with lots of small pull out drawers. In case its relevant, the main uses will be
  • MTB fettling
  • Woodworking
  • General house maintenance

What are people using and what's recommended? Usage will be very regular but I am pretty careful around my workshop so the stuff is not going to get a beating.

I just made up Melamine cabinets for my old shop, as its easy, clean and cheap, I'm doing it again for my new workshop, I'm currently working on them at the moment, although i got a little delayed as i had to go and watch Brazil vs Argentina in Melbourne on friday night:D.

If you aren't going to knock them around, then cheap Ikea units could do the job, i made mine, but i am a cabinetmaker my trade, but i do think putting a melamine cabinet together is quite easy for anyone.

then just select what you want for the doors and you are set.

I just made up Melamine cabinets for my old shop, as its easy, clean and cheap, I'm doing it again for my new workshop, I'm currently working on them at the moment, although i got a little delayed as i had to go and watch Brazil vs Argentina in Melbourne on friday night:D.

If you aren't going to knock them around, then cheap Ikea units could do the job, i made mine, but i am a cabinetmaker my trade, but i do think putting a melamine cabinet together is quite easy for anyone.

then just select what you want for the doors and you are set.
I did think about using IKEA or similar ready built cabinets but not sure they are going to stand up to having heavy kit stuffed in them. Lowish cost workshop cabinets is what I'm after, plus one of those wheeled tool cabinets for all the smaller stuff

Its a tough one, I'm a little OCD, so every thing has to match:cool:

I've used metal cabinets in the past, they are also good, its just finding a supplier that has the same powder coat for metal cabinets and drawers that can be an issue.

if you do you metal cabinets, line the shelf as any metal object tends to scratch off the powder coats if dragged of the shelf

its good to see a workshop getting cabinets, everything needs a place.

Its a tough one, I'm a little OCD, so every thing has to match:cool:

I've used metal cabinets in the past, they are also good, its just finding a supplier that has the same powder coat for metal cabinets and drawers that can be an issue.

if you do you metal cabinets, line the shelf as any metal object tends to scratch off the powder coats if dragged of the shelf

its good to see a workshop getting cabinets, everything needs a place.
I need cabinets as the woodworking generates huge amounts of dust so anything sitting on open shelves gets a thick coating

No-one else fitted out a workshop and/or can recommend suppliers and makes?

Being a cabinetmaker, if you are getting a thick coating of dust that you need to upgrade your dust extraction.

Most wood dust is an irritant, and man made materials such as MDF, Melamine are just plain evil for lungs.

i run a festool vac of all my power tools, currently waiting for a new Folder AF16 for my new machinery.

Although its not possible to contain all dust its worth reducing the risk.

anyhow this ins't a thread about safety.

as long as the carcass has a solid back and the shelfs have adjustable pins to support the middle of the shelf, you will be surprised how much weight the melamine will handle.

hopefully someone else can pipe in with another option.

Back