Wireless dash cam?

Chris1983

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Another newb question as I have been frustrated by a Halfords (4 visit and multiple assurances) dash can saga.

Hillside birch over all carpet lined inside causing much perturbation amongst Halfords folk.

Does anyone have any experience of wireless rear camera) systems.

I have had Halfords strip out their half (front) installed cam so it’s a blank canvas.

Alternatively I wonder if an independent auto electrician may have more creative thinking?!

Festive best all.

Chris

Vinyl stuff I think. Both guys thought going along floor from front to back best route but couldn’t plot a way from there up into hatchback as all that is carpet too

Equally if no good, any thoughts are welcome on wireless camera systems (if that is a thing). I have read a fair bit about wireless cameras and they seem to be more about mobile phone interface rather than a rear cam ‘talking’ to the front camera as an example. Happy for all input

Having spent a LONNNG time onto Halfords customer services before a mobile fitter came and immediately bailed on the job (“needs to go to a store”). Then again after guy in store inspected vehicle confirming 100% ‘doable’ so booked in for today to only have wasted 3hrs today for the guy to say ‘nah, can’t do the rear camera’.

Frustrating

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Having spent a LONNNG time onto Halfords customer services before a mobile fitter came and immediately bailed on the job (“needs to go to a store”). Then again after guy in store inspected vehicle confirming 100% ‘doable’ so booked in for today to only have wasted 3hrs today for the guy to say ‘nah, can’t do the rear camera’.

Frustrating
There's another thread on this that I have contributed to as I am running my dash cam wire from front to rear.

All,

Bit of an update if anyone interested. And then a bit of a steer of poss.

Above saga with an auto-electricians in NW (absolute over promise under deliver cowboys it would seem), long story short, I lost a lot of £ and a lot of trust in getting this sorted.

So where is this now?

Front and rear cam installed. A nextbase they with parking mode/ hardwire/ low voltage protection etc

I gave very specific instructions (as per guidance supplied here) which they seem to have promptly ignored.

However, they assure me they have wired to leisure (but “you don’t need a switch as the camera can just be turned off”), I also asked them (didn’t think I would need to) to wire to reversing light lead.

When I thus put van in reverse should i see dash cam rear view with lines etc as park assist? Or was that a misunderstanding on my behalf?

Thanks all again and if anyone knows of a trusted auto electrician whom can support my onwards plans in NW, please do let me know.

Bw

Chris

All,

Bit of an update if anyone interested. And then a bit of a steer of poss.

Above saga with an auto-electricians in NW (absolute over promise under deliver cowboys it would seem), long story short, I lost a lot of £ and a lot of trust in getting this sorted.

So where is this now?

Front and rear cam installed. A nextbase they with parking mode/ hardwire/ low voltage protection etc

I gave very specific instructions (as per guidance supplied here) which they seem to have promptly ignored.

However, they assure me they have wired to leisure (but “you don’t need a switch as the camera can just be turned off”), I also asked them (didn’t think I would need to) to wire to reversing light lead.

When I thus put van in reverse should i see dash cam rear view with lines etc as park assist? Or was that a misunderstanding on my behalf?

Thanks all again and if anyone knows of a trusted auto electrician whom can support my onwards plans in NW, please do let me know.

Bw

Chris
Not sure as I haven’t used them but garmin do a wireless rear camera with there system might be worth a look
Others may know if they are good or not ?

They are absolute scammers.

They advised they were installing a nexbase 622gw.

And have in fact installed a ‘red tiger’ as per image.

Available on Amazon for £130, charged me £300

I presume I can go back to them and get this swapped out?!

Livid

9F733CE0-9FFD-4854-964B-7C826B4CB4EA.jpeg

Should have known when I asked for manuals and he was shifty and advised ‘all set up for you’.

An awful customer experience. Presume I have been done there ‘two footed’

I will write a strongly worded complaint and google review this eve.

I will not have them go anywhere near the van again, so best I can hope for is a bit of cash back (very unlikely).

Moving on, does anyone know if this camera does indeed have parking mode as they sold me on it/ low voltage protection and rear parking support etc.

Absolutely fuming

Looking at the camera on line it looks like it has parking mode, if wired up with the optional hard wire kit, this records 15s if the vehicle gets hit etc if you are driving it, it will not display a reverse image when you select reverse

Thank you.

I have been missold then.

I was explicit with requirements and it looks like camera is not to the spec I was told I was buying (they advised me to return the previous and buy through them, appears a con) I was getting and patently HAVE paid for.

Would I be able to purchase said front (nexbase) camera and simply plug rear into? The whole point was to avoid all the wiring malarkey!!

what’s the etiquette on naming the place? Just want other customers to avoid experience.

Even when I was picking van up today the charlatans where all over the phone with the same excuses I’d been fed ‘need more time, hit a snag etc’ when unreality they had not even received the kit!

Lesson leant I guess, do a job properly yourself!

Before I get my ‘strongly worded write on’ can I ask, should i have expected a dash can that gives a rear view on reversing? This is what I thought I was getting,

Would the nextbase model do this? If so will add into my ire

I do not know the Next base range but I do not think any of their cams offer reverse image , just recording.

Would I be able to purchase said front (nexbase) camera and simply plug rear into? The whole point was to avoid all the wiring malarkey!!
In my limited experience while the power feed to cameras tend to use standard connections the connection between front and rear tends to be much more variable.

Cheers both, I will look into a separate reversing cam via headunit.

I will lodge a complaint re: miss selling and see if it gets me anywhere.

I had a Nextbase 622 with rear view camera fitted to the car. It does not come on when reversing, merely records a rear view when the front camera is on. You can select on the small camera screen which view you want and records both front and rear views at the same time.

Looks like you have been mis-sold as you say. So sorry for you.

Cheers both, I will look into a separate reversing cam via headunit.

I will lodge a complaint re: miss selling and see if it gets me anywhere.
I know Garmin do a wireless reverse camera or two and these link to certain sat nav’s in their range.

I was very interested in Auto-Vox though as they do digital wireless reverse cameras which (supposedly) do away with interference and link to a separate screen so cheaper than buying Garmin and their sat nav/ camera combo.

I had a Nextbase 622 with rear view camera fitted to the car. It does not come on when reversing, merely records a rear view when the front camera is on. You can select on the small camera screen which view you want and records both front and rear views at the same time.

Looks like you have been mis-sold as you say. So sorry for you.
I’ve sent a strongly worded complaint today. Don’t expect to get anywhere, absolute dishonest outfit with little scruples!

Would like to find a trustworthy installer for next jobs (solar/ reversing cam etc), if anyone can recommend anyone north?

Back