Winter protection - ACF 50

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Following on from a thread about detailing and a post about just leaving an inch of dirt on as a protective layer, reminded me of the treatment I apply to my winter motorcycle ride.

For those of you with posh ally wheels I thought I’d pass on info about a product, which in my motorcycling world is very popular, because it is such brilliant stuff.

LINKY

ACF 50, is an oily protective layer that I’ve been applying to my bikes every winter.
It was developed within the aircraft industry to protect the various alloys from corrosion, whether that be from an attack from salt or similar or from the electro corrosion effects of different metals used side by side, anyway all the tech details are in the link above. The point being that if the stuff stays on and remains effective on aircraft over long periods then it’s more than suitable for road vehicles.

What I can say from my own experience is that nothing beats this stuff. It comes in a rattle tin or ‘loose’ in larger quantities.

Modern bikes can be made from some of the trickest lightweight alloys that you’ll come across, and despite quality engineering these metals need TLC and they really hate our UK road salt, and so very easily become tarnished.

Most people I know who ride throughout the winter always coat their bikes with ACF50.
My daily ride will get a coat before the salt is laid down, I use the rattle van version, but spray the stuff into the lid, and apply it with a 1/2” paintbrush (it goes much further that way) to all the alloy components. It seeps everywhere, so I have to be careful around the disc brakes/ callipers.

I ride all year, not as much nowadays, granted, and once in a while I just top up any little areas where the ACF 50 might have worn off.

Come the spring, I use a jet wash and some degreaser and it reveals the components to be ‘as new’.

It works so well on bikes, that I’ll definitely be applying it to my wheels.

It’s a much cheaper and easier alternative to keeping a spare set of wheels.

I too use ACF 50, brilliant gear. I occasionally use the services of Allyear biker. They wash and dry the bike and then mist the ACF 50, after shrouding brakes / tyres etc. A well recommended service.

Third vote for it, brilliant stuff that I always used in my biking days and still have a can knocking around in the garage :thumbsup:

Back