Wing mirror post

helphelp

I have read and seen plenty on here about the wing mirror post replacement some have cut wires and re soldered is this a method chosen to avoid door card removal.

I am about to tackle this job tomorrow and would like conformation that with the door card removed I can thread all the cables without cutting.
This was an insurance claim in my favour but after 2.5 months of no reply from insurance company and endless duct tape it is time to address it!!
Cheers.

I have read and seen plenty on here about the wing mirror post replacement some have cut wires and re soldered is this a method chosen to avoid door card removal.

I am about to tackle this job tomorrow and would like conformation that with the door card removed I can thread all the cables without cutting.
This was an insurance claim in my favour but after 2.5 months of no reply from insurance company and endless duct tape it is time to address it!!
Cheers.
No you can’t there is one large cable connector that you will need to de-pin rather than cut. My advice is take a photo beforehand and use the correct tool rather than safety pins etc.
Also have some spare door card clips as these are easily damaged.
On the matter of insurance; you can expect it to affect your next premium regardless of fault or whether you actually got the repair through the insurance.

I’m praying for you that they aren’t electric folding mirrors… mission

Reactions: JOG
Above video is good, ofc looks easy in that and the reality is more grim.

One practical lesson learned: keep the window down when routing the wires back to the door card. It's quite easy to have a wire or two to go from the wrong side of the window mechanism side rail, thus preventing it from being lowered later on.

It was not the easiest of jobs, but I did it :)
Something I want to point out is that you do not need to remove the pins or start cutting wire at the the big plug end connector as once stripped down you can just pull the little plug out which connects to the motor that operates the mirror movement.

I don't know if all models are the same but this was the case with my Highline T32 which has just heated mirrors (not electric folding)
all the cables will thread through the post and mounting.

Next mission to remove the front bumper to fit headlights :rolleyes:

Something I want to point out is that you do not need to remove the pins or start cutting wire at the the big plug end connector as once stripped down you can just pull the little plug out which connects to the motor that operates the mirror movement.
It must have been a pain in the ass doing the job on the van, much easier on a work bench.

Did you have to remove and install the mirror casing on the van?
I just removed the door card and disconnected all the relevant connectors undid the 3 mounting screws and took the mirror off the van, stripped down all the required on a table.

I just removed the door card and disconnected all the relevant connectors undid the 3 mounting screws and took the mirror off the van, stripped down all the required on a table.
The large connector fitted through the door skin?

Back