Will Better Dampers Improve My Ride?

lexhorton

I have a Caravelle exec, its on some better rubber now but doesn't really sound great when I hit potholes etc.
-where I live there's plenty.

whilst there's not a 'knocking' or impact it feels/sounds like parts of the suspension are loose when I hit things, like theres play.
almost like the wheel 'dropped' into the hole and hit the other side with a bang.

when the tyres got changes I checked parts, smacked em with a rubber mallet and all bushings etc seem to be solid (says a non-mechanic) so theres not anything that's properly loose.

I come from driving SUVs so I'm probably just not used to it.

however, are there suspension upgrades that improve this?
I definitely dont want to go lower.
my instinct is that this is damping more than springs but you all know better than me.

all input appreciated.

thanks

As it’s an exec you will already have DCC - dynamic chassis control which is electronically controlled dampers (the C / S button on the dash) so removing them will require a couple extra things to be fitted to trick the van Into thinking they are still there or the onboard electronics will throw a hissy fit

May be worth having a chat with @BognorMotors who can advise a bit more about what’s required and prices etc that may help you make a decision

As it’s an exec you will already have DCC - dynamic chassis control which is electronically controlled dampers (the C / S button on the dash) so removing them will require a couple extra things to be fitted to trick the van Into thinking they are still there or the onboard electronics will throw a hissy fit

May be worth having a chat with @BognorMotors who can advise a bit more about what’s required and prices etc that may help you make a decision

I have 2017 caravelle exec and it doesnt have DCC
DCC isnt standard apart from "generation six" special editions

I enquired about this with the dealers a couple times - what the exec does have standard, is "dynamic suspension" package, which consists of 20mm lower springs and (according to some reports), also progressive dampers.

Page 29 in this pdf ....
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...ions/original./MY18_caravelle_t6_brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Yes not all execs have this and actually VW have withdrawn this option all together. We actually have bypassed this system for Bilstein B14’s ( you knew I’d say that!) in fact our new exec that due soon will have bilsteins instead of DCC. Let me know if you want to demo a vehicle.

Back