Wi-Fi / MiFi Antenna/booster

last year I bought a Huawei mobile Wi-Fi device for my van and its great. It means I can email, download books and watch Amazon prime on my kindle while on extended breaks in europe. However, this year I camped in a couple locations were I couldn't stream a programme despite seemingly having a full signal. So I was going to get a shark fin fitted. However the installer fitted the solar panel too far to the rear of the roof so he didn't leave enough space for the sharkfin. Apparently I can't have it at the front as the cable required for the pop up would be long. Any ideas on other devices? Thanks

Hi, I am after some advice on how to boost a camp sites WiFi signal in my van. Most boosters seem to need to be paired to the router to work.
Thanks

Something like a TP link TL-WA855RE ?
Mains powered though so would need to be on a trailing socket so it could be elevated to get the best signal from the source router.
Once the host wifi signal ID and password has been set it retransmits to local devices, I think you do have the option of creating a new local SSSID and password so the rest of the campsite doesn't use your extender.
I've been on a few campsites where there's no mobile phone signal to speak of, and in these cases I've often found they take advantage of that by charging for WiFi.
Of course you either have to pay and get service or not and be isolated from the rest of the world for the duration of your stay.
A mobile broadband router with an external antenna on a tall pole might get around that problem, have though of getting 3 mobile /home broadband in the past and taking the router with me when I go away to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASW
We had the same issue at our sited van site hence we decided to go down the router and data only sim.

We ordered a Smarty Sim as we know the O2 network is good where we are. I would find out what the best mobile network is where you are and order a cheap data only sim and the router below. Never have to rely on local Wi-Fib anymore.

CDED69B9-D365-4A61-9C47-F59CBEBF5450.jpeg

Just remember to boost a signal you need to be receiving the signal in the first place, a booster would sit mid point between the wifi source and the device you are trying to connect

If you are trying to improve the signal you are receiving then you will need something with better aerials/receiving capability, also consider wifi is a two way thing, you need to be able to receive the signal and also able to send a signal back to communicate

Back