While I'm at it...

T6Chris

Web/graphic designer
T6 Pro
IMG_0782.JPG Now I'm in pissed off mode (see recent VCDS post!) I'd like to hear what you guys think about this:

Bearing in mind the roof bars were fitted from new do you think the way the spacers have been badly fitted is acceptable? All four corners are the same! Personally if I was fitting them I couldn't let it go out like this!

I take it the spacer is supposed to be lush with the edge of the bar, might depend on where the hole in the spacer is. Can't you just undo the bar and slide it back a bit.

Yes, should be flush and yes I know I could slide it back and most likely will but on a brand new van at the money they are, this should not happen. It's a principal thing, and an additional issue!

I'm learning fast!

@T6Chris that would annoy the he'll out of me - OCD, military precision, bullish*t, call it what you will - it is just sloppy work and is substandard workmanship. I suspect the bars are Dealer and not factory fitted. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mad:

Me too, and in my case it is a bit of OCD, that's graphic design for you!

And yes, correct, dealer fitted.

The proverbial kick up the backside should be delivered to whoever signed off the job and the one that did the PDI. I would get the Dealership Manager to inspect it with you and you can express your dissatisfaction direct with such words as "this is letting down VW CV, your Dealership you the Manager, as well as your Workshop and will have an adverse effect upon your reputation". You never know, there might even be a goodwill gesture.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong but looking at the spacer it does not look as though it will sit flush, one side looks like it will still be showing

Guys, I suspect @T6Chris's issue is the same as mine would be in the circumstances - why the blistering blue blazes was the nose of the block spacer underneath not profiled to match that of the bar and it's molding or whatever above it ? It is ugly and shows no pride in a job well done.

Looks exactly the same as mine. It's the poor design; I fannied around for ages trying to resolve it and came to the conclusion its just poor design, and hell, who's going to see it?

Surely it can't be that difficult to mark it and trim it with a workshop full of tools available ? It portrays a mentality of "shrug shoulders, that's the way it is because that's the way it came". Don't these dealers give feedback to the factory anymore about crap fitments like this ?

A return trip if I was you...
Give them the hassle of sliding them to an acceptable position.

Surely it can't be that difficult to mark it and trim it with a workshop full of tools available ? It portrays a mentality of "shrug shoulders, that's the way it is because that's the way it came". Don't these dealers give feedback to the factory anymore about crap fitments like this ?

I used to be a technician for BMW and all they cared about was how quick you can get the job done and crack on with the next one. Also all technicians are paid on bonus

All the more reason to complain about shoddy work or else standards will continue to slide. The whole point is that the customer is the one paying the wages and it is reasonable to expect a good standard in return from so called mechanics or technicians who are expected to demonstrate a level of skill to gain and retain their employment. We should not condone poor standards and practices when paying premium prices by not complaining to the managers and refusing to accept things like this.

@Scruffy @Dino that's a worry then and I'm surprised VW would let that happen. I can't believe that's how it should be and if it really is I may look at making something better on the laser.
The dealer has my van now so we'll see what happens and how long it takes!

Last edited:
Yep, OCD would get the better of me. Despite the principal involved, VW are likely to state "well that's how they are supposed to be", and I'd personally whip them off and chamfer them smartly myself.

Back