Which Electric Heater For Inside The Van

We are going for a couple of nights camping in the van at The Quiet Site in The Lakes in November. As we'll have 10amp hook up, we are thinking of taking a small electric heater to keep us warm. Has anyone got any recomendations?

We use a small oil filled radiator, ours came from Lidl i think but you can get one for less than £30, Keeps us warm even when 3-4 degrees and no sound of the blower kicking in

We have a small fan heater and a small oil filled similar to the ones mentioned above. The fan heater heats quicker, but is noisier and has no thermostat - we don’t use it much.
The oil filled heater is used more often as it has a thermostat and is quiet in operation.

Pete

I saw a 400W heater on an accessory stand at the NEC yesterday. Can’t help thinking it wouldn’t make much of a dent in sub zero temperatures though.
I have thought the same with my one being only 500W but saying that I don't intend on camping much in sub zero (apart from new years eve). I did find it takes the chill off and my van is quite well insulated. The main beauty is its size. Its tiny so very easy to transport.
Time will tell I suppose but I will take a 2kw blower heater just in case.

I saw a 400W heater on an accessory stand at the NEC yesterday. Can’t help thinking it wouldn’t make much of a dent in sub zero temperatures though.

Good point. It definitely helps, but don't assume an oil filled heater will keep a van (even without a pop top) toasty warm all night, if it is freezing outside. That was our experience in the Lake District last winter when it was -4 outside.

Pete

We have a 2kw fan heater that we use when we have hookup, very quick to warm up but noisy as already mentioned. We are going skiing to the Alps in the van in January, and are looking at getting a small (500w) oilfilled heater to leave on permanently in the van. Hookup tends to be either limited to 2A or metered in the Alps. We’ll use the Webasto for topping up the heat when we are in the van & we have bought an electric blanket for all night coziness.

We use this small oil filled radiator.Freestanding Oil-Filled Radiator 500W (8833P)£19.99Screwfix.com
The reviews aren't brilliant but we find it works really well on hook up and is only 500W so takes very little drain. We used it recently at Octoberfest and it did the job perfectly although it wasn't very cold. It will be with us on the New Years Eve T6 forum party, where it will be getting a proper testing.
Hi sorry about replying to an old thread but I am looking to get something like this for a stay over on Boxing Day. Haven’t got round to full on conversion yet but have the forty winks bed set up

was thinking I could thread our mobile mains unit cable through the sliding rear window and plug in the radiator. Close the window as best we can leaving a small gap

would it actually do much to the inside of the van On a cold Boxing Day night

Taking care with loose cables and how they run in through windows (moisture etc) - the solution will get you out of a hole for a night’s stopover at a party etc!

The small oil heaters work well as long as you give them time to work - it’s not instantaneous.
Leaving a window open is a good idea anyway, to help reduce condensation.
Just be careful of the mains lead plugs/sockets outside getting wet.

Pete

Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah i was thinking a slight gap would be ok anyway for the condensation.

No problem with the cables it is a waterproof mobile mains hook up thing we use when on site, then with 2 from seats turned round i can place the radiator in the cab and have the bed laid out in the back.

I’ve also read about electric blankets being good, but not sure about those!

Reactions: CAB
Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah i was thinking a slight gap would be ok anyway for the condensation.

No problem with the cables it is a waterproof mobile mains hook up thing we use when on site, then with 2 from seats turned round i can place the radiator in the cab and have the bed laid out in the back.

I’ve also read about electric blankets being good, but not sure about those!

We use an electric blanket aswell on really cold nights.

Pete

If you feel the cold (or anything) on Boxing Day, the party wasn’t good enough!

Back