Wheels - Calibre Altus

mbee123

First post so go easy on me!!

Just put a deposit down on a T28, plan is to use it as a van and gradually convert it to a camper.

I've got a question re wheels,I like the look of the below but they are coming up as tyre size 275/40/20 , although these are pretty pricey, is an option to go slightly slimmer 255 or 265 or will the wheel ratio not look right ?

Any other thoughts, apparently the load rating is ok at 900 +

20" Calibre Altus Matt Black Alloy Wheels

Altus-MB_10576_600.jpg

20" Calibre Altus Matt Black Alloy Wheels

Hi, and welcome to the forum! As your van is a T28, you don't have the load rating worries that some of us do. A 275/40 looks like a monster truck tyre on a 9" wide rim, I would go 265 widest, but maybe even a 255. You only need a 100 tyre load rating. A 255/40 would look spot on and give you the load rating you need. :thumbsup:

Of course, you could also go 275/35, which is the VW recommended size on a 20" rim (simply because it's the closest circumference to standard with a good load rating). The extra width of the 275 is offset by the lower profile so they look nice and tight.

My first thought would be that those look like they’ll be a bugger to clean...

Swung by All Seasons Leisure which is a conversion company near me, who have a few vans on display, 275/35/20 is the way to go, tyres look just right and they give a bit of rim protection

That's surprising considering ChrisR's post..
As per my post above, I t’s only the VW recommended size due to the fact that it’s close to the original size diameter and therefore circumference and also because load rating is good up to T30.

275 is wider than ideal for 8.5 or 9” rims, but plenty of people run them without problems.

My original post was recommending 265 or 255 widths and one of those would be my choice. I would most likely go 255/40.

Back