Wheel Spec Flush To Front Arch

kevinnz

Hi everyone, looking to get new mag wheels, been looking at a set of 275 40 20 on 20x9.5 et40 (factory suspension for now). According to online sources this setup will stick out 29mm compared to my factory 18x8 et50 (T6 highline 4wd TDi), will this setup be just flush in the FRONT or will they stick out just a bit? like them to be just flush as will be lowering them by about 40mm in the further.

yes used the "will they fit" and figured the setup will poke out about 30mm, so my question is whether this will be too much for the front arch and cause either rubbing issue later once lowered, or adversely affect the "look" if the tyres will simply poke out too much..

It's difficult to say.

At standard height they will probably poke out of the front arches yet If lowered they may well end up flush with the arch or even inside it (depending on how low you go).

It's difficult to say.

At standard height they will probably poke out of the front arches yet If lowered they may well end up flush with the arch or even inside it (depending on how low you go).

will be looking at about 40mm to remain practical. is 25mm the max for the front arch?

I've got 8.5" x 20" ET35s running 245 45 20s on mine, still under the arches....just!
Lowered on B14s approx 55mm, occasionally when transversing over a large dip i get a slight scuff on the inner arch liner.
I would say yours will probably catch the outer arch itself, any more than a 9" width wheel with tyres the diameter your suggesting will probably be an issue.
I have 275s on the 10" rims on the rear with no issues.

Last edited:
Mine are exactly flush, by eye. Which is to say that if it was very low, they would catch front and rear I reckon. But 40mm lower should be no issue as I'm 50mm down with no issue. I posted elsewhere the exact spec of my wheel tyre combo, which might help.

I have 9" rims with a 48et offset.
The rim sits exactly 10mm inside the top edge of the wheelarch.

You have 9.5" rims with a 40et offset.
This would mean that, compared to my wheels, your front would stick out an extra 14.5mm. ( 8mm offset difference plus 6.5mm extra rim width ).

This could mean that you front wheels poke 4.5mm outside of the top of the wheelarch.

This is just mathmatical and wheels actual tyre retaining lips do vary.

I have 9" rims with a 48et offset.
The rim sits exactly 10mm inside the top edge of the wheelarch.

You have 9.5" rims with a 40et offset.
This would mean that, compared to my wheels, your front would stick out an extra 14.5mm. ( 8mm offset difference plus 6.5mm extra rim width ).

This could mean that you front wheels poke 4.5mm outside of the top of the wheelarch.

This is just mathmatical and wheels actual tyre retaining lips do vary.

Is it not somewhat dependent on the ET as well or have you accounted for that?

Hang on, your post clearly explains the et difference. I must stop drinking and posting :cautious:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. Wish I could go the staggered setup on mine too :( might need to settle for a 20x9 to make the front flush over the rears.

Update:

Ended up putting on a set of 20x9 et38 with 275 35, they are about 25mm poking out than the factory 18s, looks flush on factory suspension in the front and rear are also almost flush ;)

Hi all , I’m looking at black rhino York wheels .. 17 8 et 35 the current Regs where I am I’m not allowed to
extend past the wheel arches at all ,the company rep could not tell me if this would be the case for the t6.1
before I spend my $ could any of you champions fill me in please if it will work as I can’t return them once ordered ?

Back