What's the impact on sound proofing if adding rear windows...?

vwski

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks!
I'm considering adding rear windows into my SWB factory Kombi but wondering what impact that would have on the overall quietness / insulation seeing as the windows would take up valuable material space??? I'm talking about the windows in the rear / boot area, not the standard factory side windows.

Has anyone gone from a fully sound proofed / insulated van to then having new windows fitted in the 'rear'? If so, was there a noticeable difference or not?

The interior of my van is standard at the moment but it's booked in for a full interior upgrade in a few weeks time so I need to decide soon.
The reason for considering extra windows is because I'm adding seats in row 3 albeit they might only be used occasionally.
Any thoughts folks?
TIA :)

A window will always be colder in winter than an insulated panel because it has higher thermal conductivity.
I have windows all round and wouldn’t change anything.
I you want an idea of the noise difference do a very temporary cover of the OEM Kombi windows and see how much it changes

And does anyone know if I will need to alter any paperwork or V5 with DVLA?

A window will always be colder in winter than an insulated panel because it has higher thermal conductivity.
I have windows all round and wouldn’t change anything.
I you want an idea of the noise difference do a very temporary cover of the OEM Kombi windows and see how much it changes
Thanks. When you say you wouldn't change a thing, in what respect? Do you mean the extra light or the way it looks?
cheers

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to furnish us with such a useful answer.
Always happy to add value! The inference is clear: there are OEM vans with windows all round, so it isn’t a new concept! I am not qualified to offer an opinion on thermal or acoustic variables, so I don’t!

I will always defend your right to gob off from the sidelines without making a meaningful contribution of your own.

You will for the seats but not the windows.
Ok thanks. And what if I don't fit all the extra seats straight away - maybe just the brackets for now and then add seats later? The reason for making changes to my seating is that it will tend to change throughout the year

Always happy to add value! The inference is clear: there are OEM vans with windows all round, so it isn’t a new concept! I am not qualified to offer an opinion on thermal or acoustic variables, so I don’t!

I will always defend your right to gob off from the sidelines without making a meaningful contribution of your own.
Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Thanks. When you say you wouldn't change a thing, in what respect? Do you mean the extra light or the way it looks?
cheers
I like the extra visibility for awareness in traffic. I can look out of window while in the Cali’ bed and the almost blackout curtains are ample
I have a heater which is used when required to avoid condensation.

Ok thanks. And what if I don't fit all the extra seats straight away - maybe just the brackets for now and then add seats later? The reason for making changes to my seating is that it will tend to change throughout the year
It's just a paperwork exercise so you may as well let them know.

It can have big implications of insurance costs depending on how many seats.
More than likely but I'm no underwriter, I can only comment on the facts of changing the details on the V5.

Who would look to the particulars as stated on the V5 in case of any claim? Or am I being misguided and ill-informed again?
This is what the official guidance says:

Do I need to inform anybody of the changes?​

It may not be necessary to have your vehicle’s registration details altered, but you should check with the DVLA or your DVLA Local Office.

You should also inform your insurance company of the changes made along with the number of passengers and the manner in which they will be carried.

Who would look to the particulars as stated on the V5 in case of any claim? Or am I being misguided and ill-informed again?
In the case a serious injury or fatality the Police, insurance company, lawyers and every other item in the food chain trying to get a payout or avoid a payout

Back