Whats in the D Pillar!?

sparkzer

Sparkzter!
T6 Guru
I'm looking to put a couple of lights in the sides of the D pillar at lowish level, as when its dark and i open up the doors, even with plenty of roof lighting, its pitch black under my rear seats.

Initially i was thinking of something surface mounted, but for a more OEM look i was thinking of sticking a pair of recessed lights in there (the sort of thing you have in the footwells). It would mean opening up a hole in there though and I've no clue whats behind there and as its fully carpeted sticking an arm in and having a feel about isn't an option. Short of the rear light loom, i cant see what else could be behind there..but does anyone know for sure before i get the hole saw out!?

0087-vw-transporter-2019_LI.jpg

If you pull the grey side panel off you can see the wiring loom, from memory it’s well clear of that area.
You can get really cheap endoscopes for phones, better than taking a chance.
Otherwise pull the rear bumper off and remove the slam vent, the bumper moulding is about as strong as warm chocolate so expect some damage.
The pillars are structural so I wouldn’t go making big holes in them.

Cheers, the back is all carpeted so i can't get access from the sides. Good idea on the endoscope, i have one already so perhaps the best plan of attack is pop out a rear light and the cable grommet and stick it in and have a look about.

As there is a recessed bit (just above the arrow i drew earlier) perhaps something like this in there might work well, basically i don't want to add something that's gonna stick out and get damaged.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Reactions: JOG
You can get magnetic base, battery power LED units.
Would save a lot of work and take about 5 seconds.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
I'm looking to put a couple of lights in the sides of the D pillar at lowish level, as when its dark and i open up the doors, even with plenty of roof lighting, its pitch black under my rear seats.

Initially i was thinking of something surface mounted, but for a more OEM look i was thinking of sticking a pair of recessed lights in there (the sort of thing you have in the footwells). It would mean opening up a hole in there though and I've no clue whats behind there and as its fully carpeted sticking an arm in and having a feel about isn't an option. Short of the rear light loom, i cant see what else could be behind there..but does anyone know for sure before i get the hole saw out!?

View attachment 137825
Go into the ply

If you do end up taking the bumper off you can access the lower sides just forward of the D pillar through vents on each side. These need to be unclipped and, as mentioned above, VW designed most things to be clipped on just the once!
I am not sure how far up the D pillar you may get from here.

Back