What Side Bars And Rear Bumper Protector?

Discussion in 'Exterior Styling, Bodywork & Detailing' started by Apretext, 8 Sep 2018.

1. Apretext

Apretext Edition Kombi 150PS VIP Member

Finally got the van, and the first thing is to protect the paintwork (that's tomorrow's job), and then add side bars (black) and a rear bumper protector.

So, are they all much of a muchness, or are some better than others? I'd like the bars to be black to match the rest of the details, and the protector in either black, or maybe carbon?

Any recommendations? One's to avoid?

Ta!

2. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey Indium grey caravelle VIP Member T6 Guru

Avoid the genuine VW they are crap mine where rusty by 16 months and good old VW give me he spin it was stone chips! £500 I’ll never get back :(

3. Apretext

I think the only reason I’d go for the genuine vw ones is to get the lights in them, which I’m not hugely bothered by. And they are very spendy...

4. The_Lad

The_Lad Member

Don’t think you can get the current style sportline bars in black they are silver only so would have to be powder coated

5. DaveF

DaveF Member T6 Pro

Map
    I got VW black ones fitted to my van from new - they went rusty after 10 months. I got sent a replacement set that I'm not going to fit, but it seems I can't even give them away!

6. Apretext

Not even worth stripping, zinc plating and repowdercoating?

DaveF likes this.
  7. M1TCH

M1TCH Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Try Direct 4x4 in Derby.

8. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Map
    How much do you want for them ?

9. DaveF

DaveF Member T6 Pro

Map
    I’m not really sure what they’re worth? There are so many cheap alternatives around I wasn’t sure what to ask for them?

Make me an offer!

10. Dannyb6467

Dannyb6467 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    You could give them to @ShaunR

11. Dilbert

Dilbert Just travelling... VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I much prefer the angular genuine VW trapezoid bars on a T6. Matches the sharp look.

Don't know about the black ones but the shiny ones are polished stainless steel so not sure how they go rusty? And no signs of problems on our 2 year old bars.

12. DaveF

DaveF Member T6 Pro

Map
    I’d thought of that but I’m not sure my van needs them now (since I dropped it on B14’s)

13. DaveF

DaveF Member T6 Pro

Map
    As in ‘give away’??

14. Northern Monkey

Well if @ShaunR fancies a trip to Manchester he can have mine they’re a bit rusty but nothing too nasty.

ShaunR likes this.
  15. fezza68

fezza68 Member VIP Member

Map
    Are they lwb,im interested and in manchester?..

Last edited: 16 Sep 2018
  16. Northern Monkey

No sorry swb fella.

17. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Map
    Can they be powder coated or would they rust again ?

18. Apretext

I think the problem (not having seen any of them mind), is just powdercoating them, not zinc plating, then powdercoating. So if any of the powdercoating gets scratched, they'll just rust. Hence my suggestion that they are stripped back to bare metal then zinc plated, prior to powdercoating. That way, when they get scratched or chipped, the corrosion won't spread (hopefully!).

So, back to the original question, anyone any ideas who makes them properly? :p

19. Northern Monkey

As @Apretext said mate otherwise they’ll just rust again, but they yours if you want them ;)

20. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Map
    Where abouts are you thanks