What rubber? (2 wheel drive off-road)

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Rocked up to a lovely Dorset campsite on Sunday with pitches on the top of a hill.
04CD520B-3178-41CC-9DC7-CD8A8620108C.jpeg
On arrival, it was peeing with rain and the ground was wet. My converted 2WD LWB was appallingly badly behaved with its 19"wheels with road tyres. It was so useless that we yesterday used a bus service to obtain provisions, as I couldn't face additional ruining of the campsite by driving!
4800E1D0-3FA7-4769-91A5-B1371552F80C.jpeg

Thing is, I have a brand new set of Devonports at home, albeit with road tyres. I think I may equip these in suitable off-road rubber to use over the winter months.

Question is, what are the best off-road tyres to buy for a T30 that will fit the 17" Devonport?

I have looked on this forum but am struggling to reach any definitive decisions. I see that the GG AT3 pop up a lot, but I am thinking that these are 50/50 on-off road tyre. Will the AT3 be grippy enough to really make a difference when driving on wet grass on campsites with a 2WD van?

I want grip on grass is my main objective over and about road noise, etc.

Suggestions please?

I've got BFG AT3 and have never had a problem on wet grass, I did get stuck in mud once but I was showing off so probably deserved it! I'm going with GG next time, supposed to be better mannered on road.

Last edited:
I've got AT3 and have never had a problem on wet grass, I did get stuck in mud once but I was showing off so probably deserved it! I'm going with GG next time, supposed to be better mannered on road.
I'm confused! (Which doesn't take much.)
I thought AT3 were an all terrain tyre manufactured by General Grabber. Are you saying that this is what you currently have and are going to stick with next time?

Nope, I may be wrong but I thought my BFGs were AT3 too. They are AT for sure but not sure on number. Just having a cuppa and I'll double check.

It seems General Grabber, BF Goodrich and Cooper all have a tyre in their ranges called AT3!

To me, tyres are so confusing! They are expensive and do not something to get it wrong!

Do I need 215 60 R17 for my Devonports as that is the size of the currently fitted road tyres?

Alternatively 235/55/R17?

Last edited:
Cargo Vectors are fairly good on mud when they have deep tread, but only as long as the right foot is light.
I did manage some uphill on mud but only on the third attempt with a high speed run up.
The 235 is a VW option, not sure that it will make any noticeable improvement in traction though.

If you are going to put them on your Devonports, a half decent full winter tyre will be more than adequate. I can recommend GT Radial winter tyres as a good mid range brand that won't break the bank.

You could also go down the route of finding an All Season tyre to fit your 19's, which will save you cash in the long run.

Back