What extras should I include in my new van specification?

RFD

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

New member on here, but previously a T5.1 owner and member of T4forum.

I’m about to press go on the order for a new T6.1 for delivery in 12+ months.

I’ve agreed a price and PCP deal I’m happy with but want to make sure I’ve spec’d it “correctly” and not put anything unnecessary on or missed anything off! I have no plans to do anything like camper or day van etc, this will be a long term keeper for family duties and dog carrying!

It’s a SWB Kombi 150 manual in pure grey. I’ve spec’d;

2 Seater Bench on Drivers Side and Individual Seat with Easy Entry Feature on the Passenger Side in 2nd Row of Seats - GBP 162.00

Heated Front Seats - GBP 378.00

LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and LED Tail Lights - GBP 1398.00

Electric Sliding Door - Driver and Passenger Side - GBP 1188.00

Tailgate with Window - Electric - GBP 720.00

Windows - Front and Closed Side Panel in Rear - Load-Passenger Compartment on Drivers Side - GBP 0.00
Windows - Front and Closed Side Panel in Rear - Load-Passenger Compartment on Passenger Side - GBP 0.00

Swivel Seat Passenger - Not Height-Adjustable - GBP 132.00

Rear View Camera - GBP 300.00

I have kept enough in the budget for wheels, coil overs and clear protective wrap for the front end.

So, what do you think? Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks

You are right about the 12+ Months

I have almost identical spec on order but went with the DSG . I have always had manual cars etc but everyone who has went to DSG has only good things to say but suppose everyone is different .

I am months and months away from any sort of build date never mind actually getting built but already have my wheels , coilovers , splitter everything sitting in the basket waiting to go . Started getting things already . .

Reactions: RFD
Hi and welcome to the forum. I do wonder why you opted for manual over DSG? Perhaps consider a towbar or the pre-wiring for a towbar? Good luck with the purchase

Thanks for the quick replies!

We have pondered DSG vs manual. We’ve experience of both in various vehicles over the years. It boiled down to the difference in price. If there had been no premium for the DSG then it would have been really difficult to decide as we have no preference either way, but the £2500 lower price swayed it.

I know what you mean about buying the mods early. I’ve cleared my garage ready!

Keep your thoughts coming, it’s really appreciated!

I’d remove the electric doors (not many people seem to really like them), go power closing only and put the money saved towards DSG.

I’d remove the electric doors (not many people seem to really like them), go power closing only and put the money saved towards DSG.
^^^^^^ wot he said
Bin the electric doors & put your money into something useful. From bitter experience I wouldn’t even bother with power latching on the tailgate, just the side doors.

I’ve just had a quick look at the options list. To add a drivers side slider it’s £804. To have power latching on the passenger slider it’s £168 and to have a power latching drivers slider it’s £960, so £1128 total. The fully electric twin slider option is £1188, so not much to be saved by not having the power option.
Is it really problematic? I’ll have a search on here to see what the issues are. Would be keen to hear of any first hand experiences though.

I’ve just had a quick look at the options list. To add a drivers side slider it’s £804. To have power latching on the passenger slider it’s £168 and to have a power latching drivers slider it’s £960, so £1128 total. The fully electric twin slider option is £1188, so not much to be saved by not having the power option.
Is it really problematic? I’ll have a search on here to see what the issues are. Would be keen to hear of any first hand experiences though.

That’s really weird, the fully electric doors always used to be a pretty expensive addition. It could have changed of course, but are you sure you’re interpreting the options list right?

I think peoples objections are that it’s basically a very slow and noisy way of closing a door.

The power latching (aka soft close) is a godsend though, otherwise kids in particular can really struggle to get the doors closed.

Reactions: JOG
That’s really weird, the fully electric doors always used to be a pretty expensive addition. It could have changed of course, but are you sure you’re interpreting the options list right?

I think peoples objections are that it’s basically a very slow and noisy way of closing a door.

The power latching (aka soft close) is a godsend though, otherwise kids in particular can really struggle to get the doors closed.
It did seem odd, but a call to the dealer today confirms that the saving for changing the power sliders to power latching is a mere £60. He did mention that the power option on some vans has resulted in longer delivery times, so that’s another factor for me to consider.

I wouldn't bother with an electric tailgate. I rarely open mine as most things go in through the side doors.

Just a thought, double front passenger seat? If you're using it as a family vehicle as well having six seats so you can take both grandparents or two small friends might enhance quality of life. Once they hit a certain age a lot of outings and activities are more fun if they can bring a friend. (I'm assuming two children)
Cheers
Toby

Do the new models have folding wing mirrors? If not i would select that. They fill to the brim with water otherwise.

Back