What Can I Do To Save A Few Quid?

Chris B

I am reasonably adept with my hands and possess a decent kit of power tools.
What I don't have is a garage or workshop.
If I buy a new van it is going to be a while before I can get a slot for a conversion. So what can I do in preparation, to both save money and time at the converters?
My list, so far, is this:-
Strip out any existing ply-lining.
Remove bulkhead.
Fit seat swivels.
Fit windows.
Soundproof and insulate sides.
Soundproof, insulate and ply-line floor.

All of the above looks fairly straightforward. I will leave the carpet lining and final trim for whoever fits the roof, the bed and the units, along with the electrics. Can everything on my list be done without hampering the final fit?
Is there anything else, simple and straightforward, that I can do?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Chris

after all that, why bother going to a converter ??
Because I am not confident with the electrics and certainly could not fit the roof. The bed, as it is also seating, I would absolutely want to be fitted by someone competent.
But thank you for suggesting that I could do the whole thing :):thumbsup:

Can all of the things that I have listed be done without hindering the final fit. Does wiring have to be in place before the units are installed or can this still be routed afterwards? Am I thinking of doing things in the wrong order?

The best thing you could do is talk to your prospective convertors to see how they like to do things and where they route cables, etc., as, if they have to pull out something you've done or what you've done changes the available dimensions there may not be any cost savings in you doing some of the work.

get the roof done first,thats probably the single biggest expense.most electrics go in before carpet and insulation.once you"ve got the roof done you can crack on with the bits you listed and by the time you"ve done that you will be confident enough to do some/most of the other stuff.

Back