Webasto 2000STC temperature issue.

tommycj

VIP Member
Hello!

I have the Webasto 2000STC in my T6 with the multi controller

It works, but even if you set it to say 20 degrees it gets so hot that we have to turn it off and open the windows. It seems to just have one setting HOT (or cool) - nothing in between.

I don’t know if there is a built in thermometer in the multicontroller, or I have to install an external one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We watch / follow True Blue Travellers and they were having a similar issue in that the heater keeps running despite the inside temperature being achieved. They fitted an additional module/unit that is a proper thermostat control that shuts the heater down when the required temperature is reached.

Last edited:
An external temperature sensor is worth investing in, the temperature without one is monitored via the air intake on the front step.
Try setting your temperature control to 12 degrees. Get a little thermometer in your van to see at what temperature the heat cuts off. It will be considerably colder by that front step than in the main part of the van, there are a couple of threads on here suggesting that 12 degree magic figure.
My problem was my temp sensor was in the wrong place, having taken advice from the god that is @oldiebut goodie moved my temp sensor to the right place and fitted a multicontroller at the same time.
Works perfectly now!
I bought a new 5m temp sensor lead which i didnt need if you fancy a bargain for £20! £37 i think i paid from Butler Technik.

EDIT....
I should have mentioned i also have the Webasto Air Top 2000STC, I wanted to get rid of the rheostat type controller I had.

Last edited:
Hello!

I have the Webasto 2000STC in my T6 with the multi controller

It works, but even if you set it to say 20 degrees it gets so hot that we have to turn it off and open the windows. It seems to just have one setting HOT (or cool) - nothing in between.

I don’t know if there is a built in thermometer in the multicontroller, or I have to install an external one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
When you are setting the Multicontrol at 20 deg you are asking the heater to keep heating until the air entering the heater reaches temp - by the time the floor has got to that temp the temp at the top of the van is 30 - 35 deg!
As said you either set the temp to 12 deg or so or add an external temp sensor.
Without the external sensor just treat the degrees reading as numbers as a guide, experiment with adjustments around 12 for a temperature that you are happy with.

An external temperature sensor is worth investing in, the temperature without one is monitored via the air intake on the front step.
Try setting your temperature control to 12 degrees. Get a little thermometer in your van to see at what temperature the heat cuts off. It will be considerably colder by that front step than in the main part of the van, there are a couple of threads on here suggesting that 12 degree magic figure.
My problem was my temp sensor was in the wrong place, having taken advice from the god that is @oldiebut goodie moved my temp sensor to the right place and fitted a multicontroller at the same time.
Works perfectly now!
I bought a new 5m temp sensor lead which i didnt need if you fancy a bargain for £20! £37 i think i paid from Butler Technik.

EDIT....
I should have mentioned i also have the Webasto Air Top 2000STC, I wanted to get rid of the rheostat type controller I had.
Thank you so much. This is so useful!

Where is the best place to have the thermostat?

I'm assuming this is the one: Button Type External Temp. Sensor Air Top 5m (Leisure)

Did you install it yourself? Any links of how to do it would be greatly appreciated

We watch / follow True Blue Travellers and they were having a similar issue in that the heater keeps running despite the inside temperature being achieved. They fitted an additional module/unit that is a proper thermostat control that shuts the heater down when the required temperature is reached.
This sound very useful. I had a look on their channel and couldn't find the right video - could you please link it if you get a chance?

Thank you so much. This is so useful!

Where is the best place to have the thermostat?

I'm assuming this is the one: Button Type External Temp. Sensor Air Top 5m (Leisure)

Did you install it yourself? Any links of how to do it would be greatly appreciated
It isn't a thermostat - it is a temperature sensor, mount it at the height where you want to feel the heat making sure that it out of the sun and draughts. Just remove the resistor and connect it.
This is the one - instructions on the page heater Air Top 2000 ST STC remote temperature sensor | 1319842A | 9005004B

Edit to add - don't place it in a corner where air does not circulate.

Last edited:
A thermostat is not used on modern heaters, the temperature of the air is sensed and the heat output adjusted accordingly. It should not switch the heater off!

This sound very useful. I had a look on their channel and couldn't find the right video - could you please link it if you get a chance?
Hi Tommy, you've got the right part, I bought that but I didn't use it, I just repositioned my existing one to where you can see it in the picture. My old one was positioned where you can now see a Cork blutacked over the hole in the bottom left of the pic. Totally in the wrong place due to no air circulation there.
It now gets to the right temperature, cuts out then comes back on after a 2 degree drop.
As a thermostat should!
If you tap in Webasto Air Top 2000 stc into the search you will come across several threads relating to the issue!
Bear in mind you can do the 12 degree thing which will potentially have the same effect, relying on the temp sensor in the air intake usually by the drivers step into the van.
For simplicity try that first.
Have a search, oldie but goodies threads are the ones to concentrate on. Bloody legend that guy!

20240321_110033.jpg

Hi everyone, thanks for you help!

I tested it this weekend, and I have to put it around 5 - 8 degrees and it will stick around 18 degrees, which is a good temperature for me.

I haven't tried it overnight yet, but yes it seems that you have to put it on a low temperature to get it to something normal!

Back