Waze Rant

volts

GPS apps, Waze in particular took me through down some B roads towards 5he end of the route to get to Walgherton in Cheshire then tried to take me down "Dirt Lane" despite me ticking the option for no dirt roads. 7/10 can do better. There was no symbols on the A51 route showing congestion or incidents.

Tested the route again using the route overview and it still misses a chunk of the A51 yet choose another premises (roughly) opposite my destination (0.8 miles) it routes "correctly" using the A51 until the last available moment.

Made sure I check the route next time...

I was using MAPPY.COM to check some distances from home across France - what ever I did it routed Woking to Calais via Poole to St Malo!

These systems aren't as clever as they are made out to be!

I used waze for a week on the south coast and it was pretty good except it also took me down some very narrow “short cuts” but what was worse was the amount of power it consumed! My iPhone was red hot and despite being plugged in, was consuming more power than charge.

That's the only issue I have with Waze, the "short cuts".
I've been down some roads that had grass growing down the middle and were only just wide enough for the mirrors.

I use Waze abroad all the time - The only thing I don't like is not having the option to have the satellite view - Which is what I use on google maps all the time.

I find I don’t use Waze much for navigation, mainly there for hazards that people have highlighted on the route.

I've stopped using Waze as its been very unreliable for the last couple of months. Quite a few of my colleagues have said the same, maybe Waze are getting their info from a different source?

I've stopped using Waze as its been very unreliable for the last couple of months. Quite a few of my colleagues have said the same, maybe Waze are getting their info from a different source?
I understand that Waze is owned and run by Google.

I've tried all the various nav apps since Carplay came out and have standardised on Waze as it was consistently the best. As @Nigel W says, it's owned by Google and uses Google maps and traffic data, with the added benefit of user contributable reports, which are immediately passed to other users and have enabled me to dodge accident related delays usefully before it appears on the main traffic data fed from Google. Yes there is the odd out of date or incorrect bit of map data, as there is with all the apps, I well remember Google maps insisting I drive over a chainlink footbridge and through a childrens playground to get to the road I needed, and don't me started on the ridiculously out-of-date factory nav from BMW, Mercedes and VAG.
Google are in the process of migrating Waze features over to Google maps to improve it, but their current plan is to maintain Waze as their main navigation app.

The good thing about Waze is you can become a map editor, and change any out of date map data or routing.

As an example, last night whilst travelling back from Birmingham, the M6 at jn6 was shut, the A38 was shut and the M1 was shut at Nottingham. Waze failed to show any of these, whilst Google maps was showing them all. We had three phones in the car and during our long journey home there was much discussion on how Waze in particular was so slow in reporting events.

Back