Want to add things to the switch box from the leisure battery but scared of shock

oxocube

VIP Member
Hey there

I want to add some LED fairy lights direct into my switch box that is fed from my leisure battery. Battery was installed by a professional, I'm yet to finish the van but would like to start adding things to the switch box but I'm scared as I can't see how to disconnect the box from the battery - there isn't a kill switch, well there is but it's only for the only for the fridge. I've added photos below, would be great to know how I can add components without getting electrocuted. Currently only one switch is active on the box which is the main interior lighting, you can see when it was installed they have fed the negative in direct to the negative out but my guess is I'll need to purchase a terminal strip for more inputs?

Oh and if you're wondering why I have covered my B2B and voltage strip its because I live in Tottenham and the bright lights keep getting the attention of low lives. One day I will made a cupboard to house all this... One day....

Thanks for reading,
Emma

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

The big red thing at the top in the first pic has a fuse in it, remove the fuse and that should disconnect the power from your switch panel. You won’t get electrocuted with 12v DC but if any of the wires short out there’ll be sparks and possible burns. Best bet is to remove all the -ve wires (black ones) from the battery and re connect them when you‘re done

Big red fuse box is just for one output from the switchboard. I ended up removing the negative and positive.
What I didn’t realise though was my LED fairy lights were once attached to a USB, so after attaching all bits and switching on (without giving it its own fuse box) they lit up nice and bright, a few caught on fire and then it died. Which was fun, I wasn’t expecting that.
Looking online I’ve read about 5v USBs now…

• Wow
Reactions: CJW
Just for info for next time… golden rule is neg should be first wire off the battery and last wire on (stops sparking and popping fuses) and also be very careful you don’t touch the neg and posi terminals together with the same piece of metal… it can cause arching. I’ve melted part of a spanner in a micro second doing this once and I have also seen someone rushed to hospital with 1st degree burns as they had a spanner on a posi which touched a bracelet that was accidentally dangling onto the neg.

Just for info for next time… golden rule is neg should be first wire off the battery and last wire on (stops sparking and popping fuses) and also be very careful you don’t touch the neg and posi terminals together with the same piece of metal… it can cause arching. I’ve melted part of a spanner in a micro second doing this once and I have also seen someone rushed to hospital with 1st degree burns as they had a spanner on a posi which touched a bracelet that was accidentally dangling onto the neg.
This is why I hate electrics. Thanks for the facts, I think I’ll just have to leave it for the pros in the future!

Back