VW Upgraded Tailgate Struts Fading

• Thread starter Deleted member 24435
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24435

Anyone else had issues with genuine, VW upgraded, tailgate struts? Mine have been on about 18 months, because I have a tailgate bike rack, but they're not lifting the tailgate anymore and seem to be struggling to hold it up too. VW quoted £145 for a pair, with a 1 year warranty. If they're fitted by VW the warranty is 2 years. Seems pretty rubbish for them not to have lasted though.

Is it due to the temperature at the moment.
Mine come down slowly in the cold weather but are fine normally. Not the updated ones btw, just the normal ones coping with insulation and sound deadening, but same principal. The gas ain’t at the same pressure at low temperatures.

Reactions: CAB
Is it due to the temperature at the moment.
Mine come down slowly in the cold weather but are fine normally. Not the updated ones btw, just the normal ones coping with insulation and sound deadening, but same principal. The gas ain’t at the same pressure at low temperatures.
I had noticed that. But if I think about it, I think it has been going 'off' for a while. Needing to push it the last bit. No worse today, other than it dropped a cm or two, when fully opened this morning. But it's cold in the East Riding today, but it's been a slow fade.

Transporter HQ do a pair for the same price as a single unit from SGS. I have these on, and my tailgate goes up with a rack in even in this weather.

I built my bifold bed with SGS components, and I’m happy with those too.

In the winter, mine don't hold up the tailgate at all.
In the summer, Mrs Loz can't pull it down! (but she is only 41KGs :) )

Just bought the upgraded struts from THQ, watched the fitting vids on YouTube - looks pretty straight forwards but welcome any tips on fitting as I’m sure I can mess this up if not careful! Thank you!

Just bought the upgraded struts from THQ, watched the fitting vids on YouTube - looks pretty straight forwards but welcome any tips on fitting as I’m sure I can mess this up if not careful! Thank you!
get someone to help you as I found it useful for them to lift/lower slightly as they were fitted. Plus its hopefully safer than propping that tailgate is heavy!!

Bought on line upgraded etc for less than £30 delivered. Agree fully with a mate or prop, also got a bang on the head. Missus said I was in a happier mood. No not really:p

I’ve done this job a few times on my own… I bought a ‘plasterboard prop’ to hold the tailgate which is also really useful for some interior jobs too… and yep, it’s heavier than you think.

Back