Vw Towbar Electics Question

ricparke

Hi, I have a T32 with VW supplied towbar which was on the car when I bought it. I found it has 7 pin electrics and does some fancy stuff to slow down the car if the trailer is giving issues. Anyway, I would like to connect the 7 pin electrics to an optimate battery conditioner via a fly lead.. I used to do this on a Disco 3. So I would like a fly lead from a 7 pin to an optimate connection.. if this is indeed possible.. assuming one of the pins is power ?? Can advice appreciated on this topic.. it just makes life easier this way rather than popping the hood...
thoughts ?

On the basis that the 7 pin connector has a standard layout, then theoretically you could just connect your existing lead to it. Bit of a risk though as you can't guarantee that the pin out is identical, nor that the wiring on the T6 is up to the current that could flow to your battery.

Could you not use a multi-meter and a picture of a standard 7 pin layout to determine if you have a +12v pin with the ignition off ?

Pete

I'm not sure how you did it on your disco...the 7 pin connector doesn't contain a +12V feed that could be used for charging. It only switched signals for lights/indicators etc.

12N_Socket_wiring.gif

yes I will check with a multi meter.. thank you..
Disco was a 12s & 12N not a seven pin.. but you jogged my memory as one of them is to keep power to a fridge caravan.. which would possibly explain the difference to the drawing you kindly supplied thank you :)

Back