VW cancel order after delivery

Cheeky F'ing VW. Sorry I am a few posts behind on this and have just read the bit on pagfe 1 where they are threatening that you have to return the vehicle or they'll report it stolen.
Agree with you, it was delivered to you with the keys (both sets?). You can't return it as that would mean putting (in their words) an unregistered and therefore uninsured illegal vehicle on the road.
If I were you I'd be telling them that I was charging them storage at a rate of £10,000 per day. Place it in writing and then its legally binding. (remembeing a piece on the national news about a man who kept getting dodgy sales phone calls from the same place. he wrote to them telling them that he would be charging X amount per minute every time they called him. He kept a meticulous log and then took them to court for payment, and guess what - he won)

I dont understand how insurance works with broker purchases. When you insure a vehicle, one of the questions is do you own the vehicle, and is it registered in your name. Who actually owns the van until the broker releases the V5c to you months after purchase ? In the event of theft or a total loss, an insurance company normally requires the V5c before the claim is settled, how can that work if the broker has it?

The underwriting insurer is asking to ensure funds are paid to the appropriate party if declared a total loss or is stolen not recovered.

V5 only shows person (keeper) who has to tax it, and not legal owner this is stated at top of v5 and does not infer or show ownership or title.
Correct, being the registered keeper does not mean you necessarily own the vehicle.

Hi All,
The saga goes on - I have checked with DVLA & the van is NOT registered or taxed - I thought maybe the online checker would take time to update, but not by 2 weeks. I emailed DVLA who assured of it's status.
I have tried to remain on the good side of the broker as I want them to be on my side & so far they seem to be so. Apparently, when a lease company orders 100's of vans from VW, it is not via the local dealer, how luck would that dealer be if they did.
This goes through Central Vehicle Supplies (CVS) , a subsidiary if VW who then place the order. I'm my case I have been assured that the lease company have paid CVS in full, but VW are refusing payment as they want to cancel the order - the question is at what stage was this decision made. Was it before the monies went through the various tiers that seem to be involved ? I my never find this out - all I know is that VW still have not communicated a final decision & hence the van remains off road in my storage. This is the basis of a case in theory, but the reality is that I am not VW's customer, that is the lease company from whom the broker acquired the van. As I have paid the broker, it is with them that the case from my angle rests.
However, I have no beef with the broker, who has also been caught out & says that a full refund will come my way if VW repossess the van & do not get full title to it.
So as of now the broker is pushing hard, but after the bank holiday I will have had the van 3 weeks & it will be time to step it up a few gears.
Cheers all

OK, think time to go to basics (sorry)

Not regisered = no number plate assigned or logbook (v5) issued , if so how did they come by the numbers klon the number plate?

Not taxed = no road fund licence paid

Is the above correctly understood?

Sorry, away and using mobile...

You have an unregistered vehicle that belongs to someone, nobody knows who, but almost certainly not you. Put it on your dtiveway in such a way that it cannot be uplifted onto a grab.
Ask the broker to refund you. They know where the van is. You can't drive it anywhere. When you have your refund, allow them accesx to collect the van. Once the van has gone, you have no leverage.

VW are prjze assholes and their greed has no end. They struggle to tell the truth at all levels. If they put as much effort into resolving technical problems as they do chasing brokers then customers would be a lot happier.

OK, think time to go to basics (sorry)

Not regisered = no number plate assigned or logbook (v5) issued , if so how did they come by the numbers klon the number plate?

Not taxed = no road fund licence paid

Is the above correctly understood?

Sorry, away and using mobile...

My reg no was on the invoice for my van before it was registered.

I can't understand how it can be unregistered but had a registration number issued!!!!

Easily. Dealers are given a list of their allocated registration numbers. They allocate a number to a vehicle, make the plate up and put it on the vehicle. On collection/payment they input the details into the dvla inerface to finish the registration process off.

In this case, they deferred the input into the dvla for whatever reason - probably payment - so they don't have to take thd depreciation hit on a used van. They will pass it off as delivery mileage. ...

AFAIK, it has to be notified to dvla etc before it can be used on road etc, the number plate being assigned to the chassid no means its allocated / registered with dvla... Sounds like someone has jumped the gun, as its an offence to use an unregistered vehicle on the highway!

T6 Dave is spot on - how can the unregistered situation have arisen , I have not got a clue but it is fact Sounds like incompetence by the VW dealer to say the least. I suspect that Hooting Owl is right, the situation may well pan out that way.
I do like the notion of charging them storage, if or when it is decided the van is going back, there seems some sort of justice to me.
However, I need to be mindful of the pitfalls raised so far in this thread. My wife just wants it gone so we can wave good bye to the whole situation & never grace the VW network again. Acquiring a good T6 in the future does not mean giving custom to VW directly, we shall see. What staggers me is the utter arrogance & dishonesty VW have displayed over the last 2 years for issues in the public domain & my situation simply confirms what we all really know about they way they operate.

Just to pick up on the point by T6 Dave re the offence mentioned - this is something I have been holding back as a card to play in the future if the dealer gets awkward or starts making threats again to report it stolen - hang on dealer, you drove the van 200 miles to my home, knowing that it was illegal for road use, no trade plates in sight. I wonder what the DVLA and VW HQ would make of that !

I think that is shocking, punishing the user.
Have you tried to tax it online? Using the no v5 option that generates a new v5 at the same time as you have the vin number.

The odds of a dealer forgetting to register a vehicle that then had to be returned to them (conveniently unregistered and ready to retail as a new van) must be very remote indeed.
I would would want to see evidence of when the dealer was first made aware that there was an issue, or potential issue looming. If there is any indication that registration was delayed deliberately, i would see what the police have to say about it.

Mmm, I would have thought you could register it yourself. There was a really helpful guy who used to help with really tricky registration situations in the Kit Car industry, Paul Jepson. He might be able to help if you want to go that route? Let me know and I'll dig out his contact details.

TeeVan, If you look in the Service Schedule which came with the van, the dealer should have completed the section stating date of delivery / registration. If it has been completed, it is handy evidence for you, confirmation that you believed that it was registered. However, if it is blank, i would suggest that the dealer has some explaining to do.

There's a lot of explaining to be done by the dealer, and DVLA might want to get involved as well as police, as they are saying they knowingly let someone use it without it being on the national database or registered, which is a multitude of offences.. However, @TeeVan is covered, as he has inv saying rfl, no plates and first reg has been paid for by him, and it turned up with plates matching his inv on it.. Arse kickings here we come, sod the size 9, he can use a size 12+

Btw, people being nice in this, could mean they are partly to blame/trying to duck... Do NOT take ANYTHING at face value in this lot, get emails/names and make as @DaveyB & @T6 Dave's Dad would advise/say contemporaneous notes....

Sorry to hear about your woes...

I'd be parking it up on the street and calling VW to tell them that you've just informed the DVLA and police there is an untaxed vehicle on the public highway...

That should prompt a response!...

Back