Vw Approved Used Vans

cleave14

T6 Pro
Hi

last week I bought a 17 plate T6 from our local main dealer. It looks like a great van and well looked after by the previous owner, but since having it at home I’ve noticed a few things that I didn’t on the forecourt.

there’s some small paint chips on the bonnet, a couple of discreet dents in the side panel and a light scratch on the rear bumper. Am I being a bit picky here or just a bit naive not spotting these when I bought it. There’s no real clear description of body work standard for VW approved used vans.

a bit more concerning is that I noticed the drivers door doesn’t quite line up with the B pillar. If the vehicle has been involved in an accident and repaired and the dealer is aware of it are they obliged to tell the buyer.

Any advice would be much welcome

thanks

I’m afraid the small dents etc should have been picked up when you viewed the van. I don’t think you have any recourse to the dealer.

Can you show us some pictures of the door ?

Pete

Unfortunately they’ll probably say the dents and scratches occurred since sale. Two approaches - find a local dent guy and have them removed or leave them and not worry next time you’re in Sainsburys.

Door is worth pursuing. I looked at a car for my sister recently (Honda) and the bonnet didnt quite seem right - alignment at corners to adjacent panels seemed wrong (long gaps were parallel and equal both sides) Spoke to the salesman who said none of them do and showed two others on the forecourt the same.

It’s a bit of a fag but there is a return policy on VW dealer approved used. If you really don’t want it I think they will take it back and you can get the credit towards another one. Don’t think you can get your money back unless there is a confirmed problem with the vehicle and consumer protection would apply. If there is a genuine problem with the door or alignment that might be the case but not the wee dents and scratches.
To be honest there will always be things you don’t notice on the forecourt that would be regarded as fair wear and tear. It’s probably best not to get too hung up the tiny details, easy to say and hard to do I know.

Cheers mate. I think the wee scratches have been getting bigger and bigger in my head! Just been looking at the van again and it’s pretty damn tidy.

funnily enough, cycling home just now I noticed an almost identical van round the corner. Same colour which was good as the red seems to have a slight orange peel as does mine. But I had a good look at the door alignment and it does seem to bow out a fraction from the pillar. Mine bows out a bit more. I’ll attach a photo. I think I just got to shake off my new van/can’t trust a dealer paranoia..
upload_2020-2-4_17-32-41.jpeg

Mine had an engine warning light come on 2 miles after leaving the dealership. Only done 600miles in 14 months so lots of short stop starts etc. Cleared after a few miles.

Ian

Back