Victron Battery to battery charger

Bondyt6

Hi all

I have just fitted a Victron battery to battery charger, does anybody know the correct settings for a lead acid battery?

Battery details below

Screenshot_20220716_170623_com.android.chrome.jpg

I would be surprised if a Victron charger didn't already have a profile for what I assume is an AGM battery.
If it is an AGM I would say Absorbtion charge to 14.7V, float at 13.6V
If it is a wet sealed then 14.8 and 13.2, with equalisation at 15.8
Or you could ask the supplier for the manufacturers requirements to be sure.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for reply, its not an AGM battery. Its Lead acid dual purpose battery 95AH, there is no preset profile in the app for lead acid batteries, which is surprising to be honest.

Check this thread out on the victron community forum.
It makes a point about both max charge rates for sealed lead acid batteries (ensure charge rate is not too high, suggesting a lower rated charger for charging the lead acid batteries) and the max absorption time (suggests limiting it to 6 hours to avoid over charging as well as turning the adaptive absorption option on.)
Lead acid batteries don’t like being charged as fast as AGM or Lithium batteries can, they require a lower charge rate to avoid damaging them, make sure you’re not over rating the charger to avoid this (ie use an Orion 12/12/18 over an Orion 12/12/30 to reduce the charge rate)
Of course if you already have a 12/12/30 then the issue is whether changing the battery chemistry is easier/cheaper than changing the charger.

Check this thread out on the victron community forum.
It makes a point about both max charge rates for sealed lead acid batteries (ensure charge rate is not too high, suggesting a lower rated charger for charging the lead acid batteries) and the max absorption time (suggests limiting it to 6 hours to avoid over charging as well as turning the adaptive absorption option on.)
Lead acid batteries don’t like being charged as fast as AGM or Lithium batteries can, they require a lower charge rate to avoid damaging them, make sure you’re not over rating the charger to avoid this (ie use an Orion 12/12/18 over an Orion 12/12/30 to reduce the charge rate)
Of course if you already have a 12/12/30 then the issue is whether changing the battery chemistry is easier/cheaper than changing the charger.
Battery appears abit swollen I was charging at correct voltages but perhaps the charger is too powerful for lead acid, I have had the battery for awhile now, only purchased the charger. Although the Orion clearly states that it is compatible with lead acid batteries!

I think I need an AGM battery! Any recommendation for one to fit under drivers seat?

Yeah, the Orion is suitable for Lead Acid but at 30A, I would have said it was aimed at the 200Ah+ level of battery capacity.
You may be able to get a sealed AGM under the seat if you can get one that is able to be mounted on its side, Lithium is the way to go, despite the initial expense, the capabilities and lifespan are so much better that the old lead offerings.
A guide for charge rate for lead acid batteries is 10% of the rated capacity, so a 100Ah battery would prefer a 10A charge.
Lithium on the other hand will take pretty much everything you can throw at it, 40A or 50A+ charge rates are no problem for them.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Orion is suitable for Lead Acid but at 30A, I would have said it was aimed at the 200Ah+ level of battery capacity.
You may be able to get a sealed AGM under the seat if you can get one that is able to be mounted on its side, Lithium is the way to go, despite the initial expense, the capabilities and lifespan are so much better that the old lead offerings.
I can get 110ah AGM which will fit under the seat, will this be compatible with my 30a charger being an AGM battery and able to take high charge currents?

Screenshot_20220717_133637_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Sorry, edited that last post.. and this one.. that last spec sheet suggests max charge rate of 24A

Thanks for the advice, sounds like I need the 18a version instead for my setup, although I don't think this comes in non isolated version.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like I need the 18a version instead for my setup, although I don't think this comes in non isolated version.

There are some non-victron options out there too. Might be worth investigating as, whilst victron are generally very good, those orion DC-DC models aren’t very efficient and so get extremely hot.

They are generally pretty configurable though - seems a bit odd that they don’t allow you to configure the max charge current in the settings. It’s worth checking though, in case they’ve added that functionality as that would sort you out.

Having said that, if your current battery is actually swelling up, that’s not good - might be new battery time anyway.

Can't see anything in the settings which allows you to adjust the max current unfortunately, which is disappointing. I think I will have to go with the 18a isolated version, instead.

Back