Velux sash sealed unit upgrade

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
I have a couple of the older style GGL206 Velux units in our top room but the only have the very slim sealed units and are always covered in condensation in the morning.

How feasible is it to remove the sealed unit, router a deeper rebate and drop in a more efficient thicker sealed unit, or even triple glazed unit?

Anyone tried this?

I Manufacture the latest spec A- rated units. I have made the latest spec glass units to replace roof lights many times. You should see a improvement with the condensation but as i sure you no condensation forms on the coldest stops (usual the windows) so its not a guarantee but will defiantly help :thumbsup:.

I thought you might..
This is probably a summer job so in the meantime I might try and find a second hand sash and then I can swap them over and do one at a time..

@Loz ,I thick you will struggle to find a second hand sash the right size .
In the long run it will probably be better to get two new Windows . As you have them already fitted it wouldn't be a big job to swop .selco have them at a good price ,and if you sign up to velux offers they sometimes give cash back or ponts you can cash in .

@Loz ,I thick you will struggle to find a second hand sash the right size .
In the long run it will probably be better to get two new Windows . As you have them already fitted it wouldn't be a big job to swop .selco have them at a good price ,and if you sign up to velux offers they sometimes give cash back or ponts you can cash in .
Yes, finding them hard to find, there is one in Lewisham on gumtree.....

Yes, finding them hard to find, there is one in Lewisham on gumtree.....
How old , old is your sash , 3 mm glass old? 14 mm dg unit
What sort of price is the second hand sash?
Might be just as cheap to have a 4 mm opti clear tough/ 8 mm spacer with argon gas/ 4 mm Planitherm toughened unit made, this will fit, much better insulation than replacing the sash with an old dg unit in it.
If you can give me a rough idea of glass size I can give you an idea of unit price so you can compare to second hand sash :thumbsup:

My dad makes sash windows; it's a right faff.
And I wood stained our fence in hail and force 9 freezing winds today - that is my very limited contribution to any home improvement thread.

Its a Velux GGL 206 and the one gumtree was £70

If we get any that dont go back the same day make a box 6mm ply to go over it with some plastic tacked to it in case it rains
A couple of wooden handles on the inside tie it down it ain't going nowhere
lighter than a DG s/h sash unit and cheaper

Back