Van to Camper costs

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all
As I embark onto buying a van..

Just wondering what's the average extra spend to get from van to campervan (with the usual config)

Also, on a conversion from van to camper what's the single most expensive mod, and if you could live it all again, are there any jobs you'd give out to 'professionals?'

covID has delayed my start and now I'm thinking do I convert myself or buy one that's already done..

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hi all
As I embark onto buying a van..

Just wondering what's the average extra spend to get from van to campervan (with the usual config)

Also, on a conversion from van to camper what's the single most expensive mod, and if you could live it all again, are there any jobs you'd give out to 'professionals?'

covID has delayed my start and now I'm thinking do I convert myself or buy one that's already done..

Thanks in advance

Pete
Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forums. Your question although an excellent one, did make me laugh. A few years ago I was trying to find the same answer, not sure I still know the answer.
To give you some ideas:
Pop top roofs range from £2k to £6/7k
Kitchens look on Evo design website for a guide of their kits. £2kish
Electrics, fridge, lights, carpet, insulation, bits and bobs. £1k/£2k
Rear seat/ bed from £800 - £3k

All this is DIY, add converters labour and profits etc on top. To be fair I have prob forgotten a load of stuff so add a couple of grand on top for fun!

Then you will have all the trinkets, wheels, lowering, bike racks, camping kit, add another £3/£6k.

You could just go on and on. I found spending hours on this site, looking at vans and converters for a few months really useful to give me an idea.
Best of luck.
Simmo.

Piece of string question...

doing it yourself to a good reasonable spec I would guess between 7 - 12k parts, your labours free
doing it your self to a high spec around 12-16k
(using Chinese heater as opposed to euro brands and being sensible on other requirements)

using a converter to a reasonable spec 14-18k
to a good spec from 18-24k
to a high spec from 24k+

the base vehicle - to me was the most important thing. AIMHO.

Just had mine converted, cost buying the van then getting it converted adds up to more than buying one already converted, my idea originally was to get the major bits done then fit the inside myself, but I’m lazy and ended up getting it all done but now realise you pay a lot of labour / profit which really isn’t justifiable

About £8k for ours I think - no pop top roof though.
I think I have a spreadsheet with all the costs - will check.

Pete

Thanks everyone for your replies..
It does appear it might be an option to look at some second hand ones... although I still like the idea of making something my own...

We looked at T5’s that had been built, but none of them matched what we wanted. We then decided to completely blow the budget on a 1 year old T6, and converted it ourselves. This was definitely the right decision for us.

Pete

Thanks CZ
Costs to convert - How long is a piece of string?

BTW my lovely van has been sold. Thread has been updated.
:thumbsup:

I've just started that journey. I was looking for a low mileage T5 150, ended up with a 204 4M T6. So now, Im doing it piecemeal as our saved fit out budget was wiped out. Im not really that bothered as I ended up with a great van in a great colour with more options than i'd anticipated. So far I've done the sound deadening. Lockdown means I've lost 20% of my salary for a while, so Im reluctant to spend any more money. Leisure battery and speaker upgrade is next and some better thermal insulation than the rather sparse rockwool that was applied previously.
I did look at ones already fitted out, but the base van was never to my liking and those that were were too expensive. So we decided to do it ourselves. Besides, its fun.

I've just started that journey. I was looking for a low mileage T5 150, ended up with a 204 4M T6. So now, Im doing it piecemeal as our saved fit out budget was wiped out. Im not really that bothered as I ended up with a great van in a great colour with more options than i'd anticipated. So far I've done the sound deadening. Lockdown means I've lost 20% of my salary for a while, so Im reluctant to spend any more money. Leisure battery and speaker upgrade is next and some better thermal insulation than the rather sparse rockwool that was applied previously.
I did look at ones already fitted out, but the base van was never to my liking and those that were were too expensive. So we decided to do it ourselves. Besides, its fun.
I'm on two minds I must say... I do like the idea of creating something having spent most of my life fixing stuff that's broken. Spent last years shackled to a laptop.. time to see if the engineer brain cells still work

Time is marching on and good advice here. However, as with any forum, there is the danger of diverse opinions confuddling things (with the best of intentions of course),

I had thought, get modern van and convert myself but then looking at the cost, and that campsites are opening soon.. and all this stuff on here about the DVLA classification thing, not sure anymore.

The DVLA reclassification applies to van obviously but what about combis and caravelles? What are they classified as from the off?

The only certainty is that I need to get my rear in gear.. It seems the release of lockdown and opening of UK holidays is bumping up prices and cutting availability

Pete

You are right about the lockdown finishing, already dealers are selling more than they can get, converters are already booked solid and van prices are rising due to demand, I would say get a van and then you can convert at leisure, I had a roof fitted to mine so already have a bed so can do the rest at my own pace

Seems like a long time since I was here! I bought the van last summer, a 2016 Kombi from a non VW garage near Cambridge.. 2016 Kombi which turned out to have the 'unfixable ' leaking VW windows! I had tried the various solutions here.. I suspect the windows had been replaced at some time badly and the drainage channels were blocked.. It was like bloomin' Niagra in there! VW's solution was to seal them as it was out of warranty. The garage agreed to repair by fitting non VW ones but reneged on their promise once I got the quotes, offering me either a £300 contribution to getting the windows done, or refunding my money in full. As there were other issues such as wheels that were too wide that muddied the sliding doors and other niggles, and as no-one was going anywhere, I elected to send it back. I have learned to research anyone that claims to do any kind of VW work more carefully.
I found a good deal (I wont say what, cos I don't want someone to tell me they got a better deal :laugh: ), on a new panel van, which arrives tomorrow. The wait for delivery was longer than some, but much better than they are quoting now.
So, tomorrow it starts again.. I had it booked in for the basic work, but that has been delayed as some dweeb at the supplying garage missed of some of my options (rear camera and power latching side door) so I will research retrofitting those before starting the work.
But .. happy to have the van in time to convert for summer.. (mix of self and pro work)

Pete

Seems like a long time since I was here! I bought the van last summer, a 2016 Kombi from a non VW garage near Cambridge.. 2016 Kombi which turned out to have the 'unfixable ' leaking VW windows! I had tried the various solutions here.. I suspect the windows had been replaced at some time badly and the drainage channels were blocked.. It was like bloomin' Niagra in there! VW's solution was to seal them as it was out of warranty. The garage agreed to repair by fitting non VW ones but reneged on their promise once I got the quotes, offering me either a £300 contribution to getting the windows done, or refunding my money in full. As there were other issues such as wheels that were too wide that muddied the sliding doors and other niggles, and as no-one was going anywhere, I elected to send it back. I have learned to research anyone that claims to do any kind of VW work more carefully.
I found a good deal (I wont say what, cos I don't want someone to tell me they got a better deal :laugh: ), on a new panel van, which arrives tomorrow. The wait for delivery was longer than some, but much better than they are quoting now.
So, tomorrow it starts again.. I had it booked in for the basic work, but that has been delayed as some dweeb at the supplying garage missed of some of my options (rear camera and power latching side door) so I will research retrofitting those before starting the work.
But .. happy to have the van in time to convert for summer.. (mix of self and pro work)

Pete
Re the power latching side door. I ordered it factory fitted, the dealer put it on the order form, the factory build sheet had it on. I went to pick up the van, no side door power latching. It turns out everything was there, wiring etc, they had just fitted the wrong striker plate in the factory. I walked out of the showroom & left the van where it was & the dealer ordered & fitted the correct striker by 9am the next day. My point being, you may have the same situation, worth checking.

Funny you say that.. the vehicle supplier tells me its the dealers mistake, and offered to cancel the order with no cost.
When I said go ahead (cant wait forever..), the supplier confided in me that he thought the dealer probably wanted me to cancel as they could put it on their sales database for £4K more to retail..

So it would be amusing if it turns up tomorrow with the 'missing' items!

Covid tax strikes again! Prices in this last 18 months have gkne thru the roof and youre right, i bet he could sell it at a big profit against what you paid!

Back