Van has just stopped working [Resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieNeil

VIP Member
Morning, I have a 2016 T5.1 which was working fine a couple of days ago, now I get in it compress the clutch all sounds like it might start then I turn the key and nothing. I have taken the battery out and fully charged it, its as though it has an immobilisation switch I don't know about. I'm off all day trying to sort it so any help would be much appreciated.
Neil

I think you will need to read any fault codes first and advise.

I have removed all fuses to the left of the gear knob trying to sort a rear lights issue but put all fuses back

image_67179009.JPG

Are they all in the right place? Check for any empty slots that have the metal terminal on both sides if you find one it should have a fuse in it.

When you say ‘nothing’, do you mean no electrics at all, no lights etc. or no starter motor but everything else works?

Are they all in the right place? Check for any empty slots that have the metal terminal on both sides if you find one it should have a fuse in it.
Cheers Loz. These fuses are hell to get at without removing the plastic trim. I will give it a go. Any idea which fuses they are?image_67204865.JPGimage_67163137.JPG

No, its just a pain.

It's probably one of the fuses too, I did the same thing by accident sometime ago before I got rescued by @Spaghetti :whistle:

You need to be more specific. Not working is way too vague. Do you have ignition lights? Is the starter turning over? Is the engine trying to start? Which fuses have you pulled? Get your phone camera down there and try to take some closeup photos of the EMPTY fuse slots. As Loz said, If you can see a metal terminal in both sides then that slot should have a fuse in it.

Yes all ignition lights are working. No starter turning just clicks. I pulled all fuses 1 at a time to check for a rear lights problem and put each one back but it is very cramped in this area and might have put 1 back in wrong place. I’ve put camera down but to close and will not focus. I will remove lower trim tomorrow and try to sort it out. Thanks for you advice

If it wasn’t for the twist with the fuses…. and if the battery hadn’t already been taken out to charge prior… then it would have sounded just like a duff battery, especially with the clicks. At least you have a plan ‘b’ for Monday.

Don't think its a duff battery but I will check. I don't have jump starter pack but tried jump start from a car with no luck

If you can hear the relays clicking it might be starter motor related, like corroded connection or bad earth strap to the chassis at the cam belt cover end.

Hi Spaghetti, when you go to start it it seems fine all the clicks you expect but engine does not turn over/start
Interesting. Definitely worth checking the battery voltage at rest and then under load.

The factory immobiliser allows the engine to crank and fire briefly but it’ll then die, so it doesn’t sound like that’s at fault. Have you got an after market passive immmobiliser that’s failed?

Check the connection to the starter motor if you can get to the large positive. Disconnect the battery first to avoid shorting the large positive to earth though! Check earth straps.

Have you tried removing the earth lead of the battery and allowing all the ECUs to reset?

Could be a dead relay or fuse not allowing a process/check to complete.

Worth reading the error codes if you can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back