Tyre question and also a Swamper alloys and tyres question.... can't get my head around this at all.... HELP.....

Boysan

T6 Pro
Hi All,

Right, the tyre question first... currently running Hankook RA28's which the tyres are telling me are rated at 107/109, and many sites are saying that they are 8 ply rating as well.... So, looking at Swamper tyres, like the grabbers at3 and the BFG K02's as well as Yoko Geolanders, infact all the tyres listed as "All Terrain" and non are rated at the same ratings as the Hankooks, and also non are listed as being 8 ply rating as well.... so why are folk putting these tyres on vehicles... ????? as surely the insurance firms will look on this in a dim light... especially seen as VW supplied the van new with these Hankooks on....

Secondly, trying not to let the first question put me off... as I am sure there is a perfectly good answer to it... have been looking at wheels and tyres from a company called Rogue Alloys Co..... have any of you good people had dealings with this company, if so was it a pleasent experience or is there better companies with not only price but service out there, again if so... please advise me on them as I am getting to the point where I am seriously considering if its all worth the hassle.... lol...but of course it is... I just need educating... lol...

Thanks in advance to all.... Boysan...

In answer to your first question - you need a tyre with a load rating of 103 or higher for a T32, or 101 for a T30, and so on.
These ratings are based on the maximum permitted gross weight of your vehicle.
So yes, a load rating of 107 is fine for any T6 but is higher than necessary. The fact that VW sold the van with those tyres does not mean that you must replace them with the same when they need replacing.
Using a tyre with a lower than stated load rating may well allow an insurance company to refuse to pay you in the event of a collision and subsequent claim if the tyre rating was a relevant factor in the incident.
No tyre retailer should fit an inadequately load rated tyre to a commercial vehicle, although it has been known.
If your van is MOT'd as a class 7 vehicle it should also fail if the tyres have an inadequate load rating.
Don't get hung up on ply, if the tyre is load rated at or above what your van requires, it's fine.

Thanks for the reply, well that answers that question then.... as yes nearly all the tyres I had looked at had a load rating of 103, or there abouts... and of course it got me thinking (as you do) that if VW could of "got away with" putting tyres of a lower rating then surely in these times of penny pinching for a better word then they would of done, but again as you say... so long as its within the rating for the van, (which 103 would be) then my thinking would again be that its ok insurance wise.... I did contemplate contacting them to see what there views were, and still may do to be honest with you... but the thought also crossed my mind, that am I opening a can of worms where they can yet again sting me for more money, as they did with "added to the list" for the conversion I had earlier in the year, even though when taking it out I explained to them that it had been brought as a van with windows but was going to be converted to a campervan.... and they charged me as if it had already been a converted van, so in effect charging me twice, even though it was only and additional £50, somehow these £50 charges soon add up... but yes thanks for the info... just need to hear from someone who has dealt with Rogue Alloys Co now and I will be able to sleep a little easier... cheers... Boysan..

Thanks for the reply, well that answers that question then.... as yes nearly all the tyres I had looked at had a load rating of 103, or there abouts... and of course it got me thinking (as you do) that if VW could of "got away with" putting tyres of a lower rating then surely in these times of penny pinching for a better word then they would of done, but again as you say... so long as its within the rating for the van, (which 103 would be) then my thinking would again be that its ok insurance wise.... I did contemplate contacting them to see what there views were, and still may do to be honest with you... but the thought also crossed my mind, that am I opening a can of worms where they can yet again sting me for more money, as they did with "added to the list" for the conversion I had earlier in the year, even though when taking it out I explained to them that it had been brought as a van with windows but was going to be converted to a campervan.... and they charged me as if it had already been a converted van, so in effect charging me twice, even though it was only and additional £50, somehow these £50 charges soon add up... but yes thanks for the info... just need to hear from someone who has dealt with Rogue Alloys Co now and I will be able to sleep a little easier... cheers... Boysan..
I bought my swamper wheels with BFG tyres from Rogue. All good at the time. Have since tried to contact them and have not had a response. So maybe good at the initial sale, not after sales? Strange as it was an enquiry about more wheels‍♂️
430947F6-DB3E-48F9-B13A-1F00AAE5E957.jpegECD43C44-55C3-4688-9D70-5173CE2492D6.jpeg

I bought my swamper wheels from Rogue Alloys and they were excellent. My van has Direct TPMS and they fitted and programmed the sensors for me and they work a treat. The service was great and the price at the time was great but I think prices generally have risen but they do have offers from time to time. Check out their Facebook page for details.

59772FA5-5526-48D5-99AB-9387189B9C39.jpeg

Thanks for the replies.... to the Rogue Alloy Co, from both Big Dean and Ray F..... appreciate you both taking the time to respond,

If I am perfectly honest then I was already to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and tyres.... and like many other people ( reading the threads on this subject ) I had over the last few weeks been toying with the usual "shall I, shalln't I" and after I had finally decided between the two designs, I clicked on and found that overnight the price had gone up by £70... but had noticed that they had put up a so called promo code on that knocked 5% off the price... needless to say... it did un nerve me a little, as I hate that sort of thing, putting on to knock off.... it doesn't sit well with me... and have since decided on a totally different brand and supplier.. the new ones are a little more money and fingers crossed will be in stock in the next week or so....

Also I did notice that there was a unhappy customer on their ebay site, mentioning that they were slow to react to sending out additional wheel bolts.... which is not good... but anyway... thanks to all that answered and took the time to post pictures etc.... both Big Dean and Ray F's wheels look superb... I must say...and very much the look I want for mine...

cheers... Boysan...

Thanks for the replies.... to the Rogue Alloy Co, from both Big Dean and Ray F..... appreciate you both taking the time to respond,

If I am perfectly honest then I was already to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and tyres.... and like many other people ( reading the threads on this subject ) I had over the last few weeks been toying with the usual "shall I, shalln't I" and after I had finally decided between the two designs, I clicked on and found that overnight the price had gone up by £70... but had noticed that they had put up a so called promo code on that knocked 5% off the price... needless to say... it did un nerve me a little, as I hate that sort of thing, putting on to knock off.... it doesn't sit well with me... and have since decided on a totally different brand and supplier.. the new ones are a little more money and fingers crossed will be in stock in the next week or so....

Also I did notice that there was a unhappy customer on their ebay site, mentioning that they were slow to react to sending out additional wheel bolts.... which is not good... but anyway... thanks to all that answered and took the time to post pictures etc.... both Big Dean and Ray F's wheels look superb... I must say...and very much the look I want for mine...

cheers... Boysan...
Spill the beans, what have you decided on and where from?

I bought my swamper wheels from Rogue Alloys and they were excellent. My van has Direct TPMS and they fitted and programmed the sensors for me and they work a treat. The service was great and the price at the time was great but I think prices generally have risen but they do have offers from time to time. Check out their Facebook page for details.

View attachment 122730
Just bought our camper and joined the group and I'm currently looking at replacing 255/35/20 wheels / tyres on my lowered T5, and possibly looking at standard height or small lift. I rent the van out and want to change to make it slightly better for wild camping, winter, off the road tracks for mountain bikers etc. Your wheel / tyre / gap combo looks pretty much like I'd go for, what size wheels / tyres and suspension setup do you have? Cheers20210508-DSC08409 copy.jpg

Just bought our camper and joined the group and I'm currently looking at replacing 255/35/20 wheels / tyres on my lowered T5, and possibly looking at standard height or small lift. I rent the van out and want to change to make it slightly better for wild camping, winter, off the road tracks for mountain bikers etc. Your wheel / tyre / gap combo looks pretty much like I'd go for, what size wheels / tyres and suspension setup do you have? CheersView attachment 122922

My wheels are Oz Racing Rally Raids 17in with 245/65/17 BFG KO2 on a T32 standard ride height. They fill the arches nicely and lift the van about 2in over the standard 17in wheels that the van came with. They give a very comfortable ride and not in the least bit noisy. Personally I won’t be adding a lift kit as it’s high enough for me.

My wheels are Oz Racing Rally Raids 17in with 245/65/17 BFG KO2 on a T32 standard ride height. They fill the arches nicely and lift the van about 2in over the standard 17in wheels that the van came with. They give a very comfortable ride and not in the least bit noisy. Personally I won’t be adding a lift kit as it’s high enough for me.
Thanks Ray, much appreciated. Yeah, ride height wise I'll be trying to get max height, but still fit under 2m (including poptop) to clear 2m height restrictions at forrest trails, bike parks etc.

Thanks Ray, much appreciated. Yeah, ride height wise I'll be trying to get max height, but still fit under 2m (including poptop) to clear 2m height restrictions at forrest trails, bike parks etc.

my van is over 2.1m tall on the 17in BFGs at 65 profile. You may need to see if you can find a lower profile so a numpty renter doesn’t take the roof off trying to get into a multi-storey or somewhere lol

my van is over 2.1m tall on the 17in BFGs at 65 profile. You may need to see if you can find a lower profile so a numpty renter doesn’t take the roof off trying to get into a multi-storey or somewhere lol
Yep, with the roof bars and BFGs I am over 2m.

Spill the beans, what have you decided on and where from?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... but we have only just come back from a short break and the place we went had no phone signal... (good for the peace and quiet, but junk for checking things out...lol...) Anyway.... I decided to go with the following...the following....

"ta dah"...... these....

17″ Twin Monotube Projekt AT Swamper wheel WITH BFGOODRICH KO2​

I found them on t6upgrades and will be putting the order in soon...

Thanks again to all who responded... cheers.... enjoy the sunshine... Boysan...

Back