Twanging Electric Window Mechanism!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I think it's a bit of an unusual one this! Right...….so what happens is, frequently after I've used my electric windows, there is a twanging sound from inside the door....sounds as though something in the mechanism is catching momentarily and then releasing itself. It can happen several minutes AFTER I've put the windows back up. Both sides are affected.....passenger worse than drivers side though. I have the sh*t VW stick on wind deflectors so it's not that.....I had a speaker upgrade by Peter at Skipton Car Audio but I think it did it before then? They work fine but makes me wonder if one of these days....(when the warranty has expired!), the "twang" will become a "bang" closely followed by me picking shards of broken glass out of my luxuriant (not) hair! Any thoughts gents? :thumbsup:

VAG window regulators are a concoction of plastic pulleys and steel wire cable. The cable is of a very low quality and starts to rust and fray.. Causing noises when the window is operated and also perhaps bangs and twangs after use.
MK2 TT is known for failing regulators.

It does sound like it could be connected to your speaker upgrade, there’s not much room behind there and it’s easy for something that sticks out a tiny bit to catch, maybe a bit of sound deadening that hasn’t been rollered down enough and is lifting at a corner? Or that the glass has not been put back in its rubber tracks properly, or the clamps haven’t been tightened up. It’s quite a simple system so with the door card off and moving it up and down in stages you should be able to see where the issue is.

My regulators where changed on both sides on my16 velle, apparently there was a naff batch of them.
They use to make a right racket.

Back