TV Aerial for the van.

Depends what you mean by good Paul! :)
A good size? good gain? good directional selectivity? good F/B ratio? good value? Good returns policy? :rofl: :D :rofl:
Its an unfortunate fact that any TV aerial small enough to be convenient in a van is going to be relatively poor when
compared to the yagi on your house roof :)
The 'Status' range are not bad for a permanent installation, but most are omnidirectional which is convenient but not optimal.
They do cased directional ones too but they're quite a bit bigger and need to rotate.
If you're prepared to use a pole, a small yagi (say 5 ele upwards) should perform reasonably well. Pretty much all 'indoor' aerials are poor.
The August DTA245 is probably as good as a small indoor aerial gets, its amplified (USB powered) and has a magnetic base, so
unless its raining, you can stick it on the roof where at least it has a decent ground-plane :)
Most tellys now have a usb port which you can use to power it.
Most campsites are out in the sticks so the signal is often poor, so have some DVDs ripped to a memory stick for backup!
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
iv got the August DTA245 and it serves us well, but only works if you get a good signal, no good in the middle of a forest! we just pop the roof up and let it sit in side on the carpeted van roof

Has anyone used the little portable satellite dishes and recievers that you can use to get freeview channels on. I see them pop up in Aldi's from time to time. Are they any good or better than an ariel?

Has anyone used the little portable satellite dishes and recievers that you can use to get freeview channels on. I see them pop up in Aldi's from time to time. Are they any good or better than an ariel?

I used a portable satellite dish when we went camping used to get freesat and have yet to have a problem, trees will block the signal so you need a clear line of sight to the satellite
we never had any luck with ariels maybe they have improved now

The Necvox mag mount aerial is good for a general discreet omni and carry a satellite dish for back up. This served me well for many years in my T4.

Hi

We’re looking at putting a tv in our van and are after advice on the best tv aerial to use. Because of the pop top roof it obviously can’t be a permanent fixture so are there some which can be put up and taken down again? Thanks

If you have iPads and such Loz has a superb little gadget that with its app picks up tv signals and you can watch tv. Cracking bit of kit.... remember watching the F1 at Bala lake. Give him a nudge...

If you have iPads and such Loz has a superb little gadget that with its app picks up tv signals and you can watch tv. Cracking bit of kit.... remember watching the F1 at Bala lake. Give him a nudge...
Thanks but should I know who Loz is?

It looks like an unamplified 1/4 wave, should be ok for strong signal areas. I'd expect an amplified one to perform slightly better (such as the DTA245) but even thats nowhere near the gain you'd get with a proper yagi beam. You cant expect a lot from a passive monopole, and their 'gain' claim is completely ridiculous!
Necvox said:
96db gain
:slow rofl:
Cheers
Phil

96db_my_arse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys not picked my t6 up yet but thought I would get some bits for it . I need a tv for the kids and wife . What’s your thoughts on a 12volt tv . What do u guys use and what’s the best arial to use I don’t want to drill a arial on the roof I was maybe thinking if u can get a suction one that sticks on that can be removed .. options please do u get good enough picture with your set up

Cheers folks

hi guys not picked my t6 up yet but thought I would get some bits for it . I need a tv for the kids and wife . What’s your thoughts on a 12volt tv . What do u guys use and what’s the best arial to use I don’t want to drill a arial on the roof I was maybe thinking if u can get a suction one that sticks on that can be removed .. options please do u get good enough picture with your set up

Cheers folks
Hi roofis i use a 22" cello traveller tv with built in freeview and sat reciever and just bought a netvox aerial. Not a bad budget tv at all

Thanks just found both on eBay . Have u wired it all up yet is it a clear enough picture with the arial..... thanks

we've got a 16" cello and a August DTA245 and it serves us well, but only works if you get a good signal, no good in the middle of a forest! we just pop the roof up and let it sit in side on the carpeted van roof

Back