Transporter gathering in Cornwall

@DaveyB and that will be a Twitter tweet from a twit going nuclear because a load of twits couldn't see that he is a desperate man that is seriously indebted, a bully and a megalomaniac.

The whole Cali thing is people being jealous or the Cali owners snubbing people, you have the chance to prove them wrong and break the cycle. Go to it I say!
You always get rivalries and TBH @Polzeylad is right they are like that. I've seen them at the caravan site I use even look down their nose at you there. Thing one of the worst rivalries I knew of was the Mini on. I used to moderate on the British Mini Club Forum till it folded (old farts running the club did not think it was good for the image). When the new Mini was coming out people were looking forward to what Rover was going to bring out then Ban BMW bought out Rover and took over the Mini name then brought out the New MINI. The classic owners as we became known hated them and there was all sorts of slanging matches going on (Partly why the forum closed) . Could not say what it's like now as I've been out of the Mini thing for years now but I did notice straight away when I signed up with the Cali forum most of them were stuck up . I thing what did it for me was one Woman f them saying when you by a California you buying into a Life stile (apologies to the lady's here) just made me thing I did not want to be part of them as I'm more down to earth.

@Roadrunner - I bet that's the same lady who I helped out loads, she became a moderator, didn't like me complaining about my constantly broken T5.1 Cali, had a constant dig at me, I finally snapped and bit back, I got banned. She's horrifically manipulative.
I have never got the "buying a lifestyle" thing either!

Last edited:
The whole Cali thing is people being jealous or the Cali owners snubbing people, you have the chance to prove them wrong and break the cycle. Go to it I say!

Agreed, then you get the vintage lot too.

"Oh you have a VW camper a T2 bay?"
"No it's a T6"
"Oh I shall now be ignoring you from now on".
"Hello again, was that you broken down I saw yesterday"
"Yes"
"I could have stopped, but thought you'd ignore me again ;-)"

If I see a nice kitted out van that is loved and looks the job then who give a hoot what it is !?

...message ends...

You always get rivalries and TBH @Polzeylad is right they are like that. I've seen them at the caravan site I use even look down their nose at you there. Thing one of the worst rivalries I knew of was the Mini on. I used to moderate on the British Mini Club Forum till it folded (old farts running the club did not think it was good for the image). When the new Mini was coming out people were looking forward to what Rover was going to bring out then Ban BMW bought out Rover and took over the Mini name then brought out the New MINI. The classic owners as we became known hated them and there was all sorts of slanging matches going on (Partly why the forum closed) . Could not say what it's like now as I've been out of the Mini thing for years now but I did notice straight away when I signed up with the Cali forum most of them were stuck up . I thing what did it for me was one Woman f them saying when you by a California you buying into a Life stile (apologies to the lady's here) just made me thing I did not want to be part of them as I'm more down to earth.

I'm on another California forum, but joined here to hear about other T6s and what ideas/solutions people have.

Not all California owners are stuck-up, at least I hope I'm not. I'm not a modder or even a tinkerer, but I do like a well turned out set of wheels.
There are Nigel Know-it-alls in all walks of life, trouble is it only takes one or two of them to spoil it for the masses.

Soap box now out of sight ;)

... message ends...

I'm on another California forum, but joined here to hear about other T6s and what ideas/solutions people have.

Not all California owners are stuck-up, at least I hope I'm not. I'm not a modder or even a tinkerer, but I do like a well turned out set of wheels.
There are Nigel Know-it-alls in all walks of life, trouble is it only takes one or two of them to spoil it for the masses.

Soap box now out of sight ;)

... message ends...
Nope there are a few good 'uns about - we met a really nice German Cali couple a while back in France and I've met several others (good mates are about to buy one too - she's David Attenborough's doctor on most of his jaunts!) but I've also met a few really odd owners most of who are on that forum. It's a shame but I guess Calis are expensive to buy and just like BMWs (we have one of those too), that will always attract some who buy them for image over sense.
But some are also SO against Calis it's almost as bad; a member who recently departed here used every single opportunity to slate them for the most comical reasons; some others like to do it too. The usual "reason" is the door being on the "wrong" side (which when abroad is actually the "right" side!) but there are some other interesting reasons.

Anyway it all seems good here which is what matters.

@Teejay1
Years ago my wife& I were looking at A Cali in Ridgeway Reading, the roof was down so I asked the salesman how it lifted. When he tried the battery was flat so off he went to get another. He managed to life the roof for us after some messing about in the end and we had a look round the van. While we were there I noticed a Family with teenage kids swanning around the dealership with a coffee in one hand like they owned the place (god knows what they were getting) when the guy spots the van has the roof up and comes over for a nosy while we were looking at it, next thing I hear (plum in mouth for this) “O” it’s a Camper do come over and look at this dearie, with that the cretins who were with him were all over the thing did not matter we were thinking of buying it so it was a case of F*ck you and we left with the salesman stood there. Got a great deal on one at Listers a week or so later. I felt that was the calibre of people you got with a lot Cali’s as well. Not everyone is like it but you get a few and like you said they spoil it for others. We will see what it’s like when I get mine but no doubt they will look down their nose at me. :(

No looking down our noses at @Roadrunner, or anyone else for that matter. We are all created equal, some have more money and others may have to work harder than others to get what they've got, but the the one thing all Cali, Kombi, Caravelle and Panel Van owners have in common is that they are all driving VW Transporters :). If they choose to forget that fact then forget them, they are not worthy :mad:. Equally, that tatty looking old camper could be someone's "barn find" :thumbsup: that is being lovingly restored and enjoyed during the process. Moral of my rant :whistle: - some people are good 'uns, some are pretentious gits, but you won't know who is which until you meet them:waving:

@Teejay1
Years ago my wife& I were looking at A Cali in Ridgeway Reading, the roof was down so I asked the salesman how it lifted. When he tried the battery was flat so off he went to get another. He managed to life the roof for us after some messing about in the end and we had a look round the van. While we were there I noticed a Family with teenage kids swanning around the dealership with a coffee in one hand like they owned the place (god knows what they were getting) when the guy spots the van has the roof up and comes over for a nosy while we were looking at it, next thing I hear (plum in mouth for this) “O” it’s a Camper do come over and look at this dearie, with that the cretins who were with him were all over the thing did not matter we were thinking of buying it so it was a case of F*ck you and we left with the salesman stood there. Got a great deal on one at Listers a week or so later. I felt that was the calibre of people you got with a lot Cali’s as well. Not everyone is like it but you get a few and like you said they spoil it for others. We will see what it’s like when I get mine but no doubt they will look down their nose at me. :(

I looked at quite a few converters but they always has a basic van I wanted something that could overtake and move when I needed it. When we spec'd up a similar van from a converter they came out at either the same or more. In the end we went full fat, Ocean 4Motion, 204, DSG from VW with the warranty!

As we all know there are tosspots in all walks of life why should a van/camper community be any different? Trick is to find the ones that have a similar outlook and ignore the others.

The other California forum has some really nice helpful people but there are a few who think the know it all, been there done that types. I've camped for over 15 years, in the UK, in tents so camping, I know. Camping in a campervan is quite new and I'm learning and enjoying the freedom and the quiet.

I for one will chat and assist where I can.
As they look down on you make sure you have a finger extended to meet their gaze :eek:

..message ends...

No looking down our noses at @Roadrunner, or anyone else for that matter. We are all created equal, some have more money and others may have to work harder than others to get what they've got, but the the one thing all Cali, Kombi, Caravelle and Panel Van owners have in common is that they are all driving VW Transporters :). If they choose to forget that fact then forget them, they are not worthy :mad:. Equally, that tatty looking old camper could be someone's "barn find" :thumbsup: that is being lovingly restored and enjoyed during the process. Moral of my rant :whistle: - some people are good 'uns, some are pretentious gits, but you won't know who is which until you meet them:waving:

Totally agree with that. ;)

Back