Traction control

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Yesterday I got stuck in the snow in Austria. Caused havoc and I couldn’t switch off traction control easily.

Eventually I found on YouTube a complicated solution.

Switch on ignition, turn on 4 way flashers and then pres the accelerator 5 times. It worked. Eventually I got back after much honking of horns.

Surely there is a simpler solution than that.

I know your pain - I once had a hire car (with winter tyres - but rubbish ones) that had the same problem in Austrian snow.
There is an OEM Off switch that can be fitted. It’s on my list to do on my van. There is a thread somewhere on the forum to do that as well as fit a Hill Descent Control button.

I know your pain - I once had a hire car (with winter tyres - but rubbish ones) that had the same problem in Austrian snow.
There is an OEM Off switch that can be fitted. It’s on my list to do on my van. There is a thread somewhere on the forum to do that as well as fit a Hill Descent Control button.

Yesterday I got stuck in the snow in Austria. Caused havoc and I couldn’t switch off traction control easily.

Eventually I found on YouTube a complicated solution.

Switch on ignition, turn on 4 way flashers and then pres the accelerator 5 times. It worked. Eventually I got back after much honking of horns.

Surely there is a simpler solution than that.
As a bit of an update. I had a blown fuse for my cigarette lighter whilst in Austria. There was a VW Van dealer about a couple of miles away so i popped down to get one.

Had a discussion with the service guy on the Traction control and the convoluted method to turn it off. He came, had a look and was quite surprised. My 2017 model T6 highline in Austria has a TCS button in the middle of the top row of switches on the dash & it is a compulsory on vehicles there cos of the snow. He was also amazed at the method I was using he’d never heard of it before. Called out a couple of guys to see it work :D.

Upshot was, he gave me the fuse FoC and told me next time I am there he’ll fit a switch for €50! Oh and I got a coffee as well.

As an aside they were all impressed with the self build of my van :slow rofl:not quite sure my german actually got across that I designed it and someone else built it.:thumbsup:

I'm confused ... you were stuck, used YouTube to find a way to turn off trac control.. later went to dealer and it has a switch but he will fit a switch ?? Are you taking about 2 different vehicles here

Reactions: Loz
I'm confused ... you were stuck, used YouTube to find a way to turn off trac control.. later went to dealer and it has a switch but he will fit a switch ?? Are you taking about 2 different vehicles here
Aha I see the grammar I used was screwed. No 1 vehicle. my model 2017 in the Austrian version has a switch fitted as standard. The U.K. Model doesn’t but the wiring is probably there anyway in the loom.

Seems to be fitted randomly in the UK. Apparently the California also has them fitted. I have a Highline from new with most of the factory fitted toys but that button ain't there

The manual doesn’t help much either. It just tells you to switch it off via the button which isn’t there with absolutely no mention of the methodology from Jay Below. Thanks Jay got me out of s sticky situation. Hey Ho :rolleyes:

I've actually got instructions for this hack written printed on a sheet of paper and I keep it in the van with insurance and VW assist papers but never had to use it. I don't know whether it's true or not but I've also seen that after you do it, traction control reactivates once you've travelled 5ft (if you were stuck in snow, I guess that does however indicate that you are moving again though!). I do wish that I could find a good auto electrician to install a proper on/off switch for me though - I'd happily pay and asked the bloke who installed my Ghost 2 but he just gave me a blank look.

I've actually got instructions for this hack written printed on a sheet of paper and I keep it in the van with insurance and VW assist papers but never had to use it. I don't know whether it's true or not but I've also seen that after you do it, traction control reactivates once you've travelled 5ft (if you were stuck in snow, I guess that does however indicate that you are moving again though!). I do wish that I could find a good auto electrician to install a proper on/off switch for me though - I'd happily pay and asked the bloke who installed my Ghost 2 but he just gave me a blank look.
I travelled 4 miles down a maintain and then switched it off & on again at the bottom. As far as I am aware it was inactive all the time I was driving. Although the warnings did disappear.

There is a thread on here by someone who did it. Traction Control - ESC/ASR & HDA switch retrofit

Back