Too hot to park van in sun for solar..

Get a solid roof rack and fit the panels to them. The space in between roof rack and van creates a natural barrier to the Sun. The old Land Rovers used to have them in hot climates. It might help a bit?

Hi Mr VanDamMan, I may have to do something similar. Do you have an Anderson plug or similar and then connect this battery in parallel to your leisure battery and charge it via alternator and solar or is it a stand alone setup. I have no room to fit another battery permanently inside the vehicle but could connect this up and move it out of the way when needed.
Did you have to match it exactly to your leisure battery eg 120ah agm to 120ah agm.
Or can you mix 120ah agm to say 80ah agm. Thanks Mick
Hi @AussieMick ...We fitted an Anderson plug/cables to both batteries so it’s just a simple connect when needed..We only tend to charge via solar but pre-charge battery box before leaving home if needed ...Our batteries aren’t an exact power match 110/100 amp Agm but its good practice to match power/type/age....We found a lot of help on the net that was useful and help from @Dellmassive
Merry Christmas :)

ps ... If on hook up can also charge battery box via Ctek battery charger

Update: I have replaced my 120ah agm with a 150ah lifepo4 battery. Also installed a sailtrack on the drivers
( fridge) side of van .Even with just my 150w panel on my roof, this setup is a huge improvement.
Its summer here now and fridge and battery charging from solar is so much better.
What power the fridge takes out overnight is replaced much quicker by solar panel/s .
The Lifepo4 battery is expensive upfront but seems to have solved our fridge/ battery drain problems in hot weather.
The awning on fridge side has stopped the side of van heating up a lot.
Interior is much cooler today than yesterday even though today is hotter .

20201231_155433.jpg

Update: I have replaced my 120ah agm with a 150ah lifepo4 battery. Also installed a sailtrack on the drivers
( fridge) side of van .Even with just my 150w panel on my roof, this setup is a huge improvement.
Its summer here now and fridge and battery charging from solar is so much better.
What power the fridge takes out overnight is replaced much quicker by solar panel/s .
The Lifepo4 battery is expensive upfront but seems to have solved our fridge/ battery drain problems in hot weather.
The awning on fridge side has stopped the side of van heating up a lot.
Interior is much cooler today than yesterday even though today is hotter .

View attachment 96935
Now, you just need to find a way to cover that shade in solar panels and you're sorted :laugh:

Hopefully one day the shade awning material will incorporate solar panels then it will be easier to recharge batteries.

Reactions: CAB
Back