Thermal Screens... advice for newbie

NYorksT6

Hi all,

Just about to get our T6 back after a full conversion by Northshore in Stanley. We have are currently shopping for our essentials list and one of the things we are a bit unsure of is thermal screens. We now we need them but are a little unsure of the differences between the internal and external type. I have read some post about using both and wanted our advice before we splash out on them.

We also have a need for thermal screens for our SCA 192 pop top if anyone has any experience of that too :)

Thanks in advance :)

Lee

You will find for and against arguments for both internal and external. For us its decent, T6 specific, external screens - we chose Rainbow Screens after first trying a cheaper alternative. Rainbow are not cheap but they are one of the, if not the, best around at the moment. They also do pop top wraps.

External screens will definitely keep the van warmer and cut down on more condensation and cut out more light than internal ones but the main (perceived) downsides are having to put away when wet and inability to easily open the front doors once fitted.

We had our thermal screen delivered yesterday from Rainbow screens, from order date it took around 4 weeks to be delivered, they said they had been overwhelmed with orders from recent shows that they had attended.
Agree they are not the cheapest but the quality and service is very good.

Can also recommend Gallant internal screens, we use these in summer very simple and work well.

Nice little thread as I'm also starting to plan a few purchases for the camper as our conversion date get closer. I used to have a just kampers external screen with the t4, I found it could be removed even with the doors shut and the Velcro that attached the three parts together along the A pillar came detached in strong winds. It also stops any air flow from a slightly open front window.
Have any of these issues been removed with modern designs?
I'm predicting the pop top will help the air flow so that may not be an issue this time.

@Ed Webb We had the same one on our T4 from just kampers so know what your saying there.
The rainbow screen one is a great fit and they come with the bottom 8-10 inch sewn together on the A pillar so you can fold the top part down and it’s still secure on your van., you still have the same restricted air flow at the top of the doors though.
The pop top though gives plenty of options for air flow though, a bit too much at this time of year.

I do remember there was always extra condensation with internal blinds.
External is what I'm after and due to plenty of positive reviews I'm leaning towards the rainbow screen too.

We are away in our van tonight in this snowy weather with external rainbow screens so will let you know what amount of condensation we get, pop top closed, front windows slightly down, heater on though.

Re. condensation issues: Wind deflectors help a bit with the restricted air flow at the top of the windows. We have used our Rainbow screens in all sort of weather (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) year round and, with 3 of us plus 2 dogs sleeping in the van, never have a hint of condensation on the front screen or side windows. However, we do always have the pop top up and (when we remember) the front windows down a couple of inches, together with the heater running when its cold.

Only issue I have had with the Rainbow Screens is trying to get them off in a rush a few weeks ago and managing to twist one of my wiper blades out of shape - totally down to my own stupidity - doh!

No condensation here either on front and side windows , using Rainbow screens.
Condensation on side windows where we’ve got curtains though, any suggestions to reduce this would be welcome.

View attachment 16584 Is it me or is the rainbow screens website a little incomplete?
Looks a bit better than last time I tried it :)

I think most of their business comes via the shows they attend and word of mouth, hence not quite getting into the 21st century with their internet offering yet. Best to email, find them on facebook or give them a ring.

I went with the Rainbow screen with velcro pull down to let you drop the windscreen section without taking it all off.

First night out it was -3 and snowed all night and not a drop of condensation on any of the front windows. Cannot recommend them highly enough, get in touch with them on Facebook, excellent service. I have pop top screenson order for delivery in Jan for my SCA.

Despite double blackout curtains the rear windows were quite bad with condensation, is there anything out there for this?

I went with the Rainbow screen with velcro pull down to let you drop the windscreen section without taking it all off.

First night out it was -3 and snowed all night and not a drop of condensation on any of the front windows. Cannot recommend them highly enough, get in touch with them on Facebook, excellent service. I have pop top screenson order for delivery in Jan for my SCA.

Despite double blackout curtains the rear windows were quite bad with condensation, is there anything out there for this?
We have a rainbow screen on the tailgate window which stops the condensation there but just put up with the condensation on the rear side windows.

Please can you put up some photos of your pop top wrap when you get it and let us know how practical it is to use, etc.. Thanks.

Davenjo how do you get on with the rear screen cover? How’s it internally attached, would it come off if you entered via the tailgate?

As for the Rainbow screens website it must cost them a huge amount of custom.

Rainbow Screens for me. Ordered at the last NEC camping & caravan show. Quality is very good and they make a huge difference in cold weather.

Agree with comments regarding their website - it's epically bad!

Davenjo how do you get on with the rear screen cover? How’s it internally attached, would it come off if you entered via the tailgate?

As for the Rainbow screens website it must cost them a huge amount of custom.
They have elastic straps that loop around the inside and clip together - stays in place when tailgate is opened no problem.

Back