The Ply Guys Assynt - Similar build plan

Jonnyst90

VIP Member
I'm looking to build something similar to the ply guys assynt units in the back of my Kombi.
20240129_180140.jpg

The main question I have is what Plywood thickness I should use to build them.

My initial though was to use 12mm to save on weight but several people has said they don't believe 12mm would be strong enough. The widest unsupported span the ply would have to cover is 516mm.

Looking at some pictures from the ply guys website, I'm unsure what thickness they use but it doesn't look as thick as 18mm to me. It has 9 plys which I believe indicates to 12mm but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what thickness they use or have experience building their own similar set up and what thickness they chose?

See picture for an idea of the material used for the assynt units:
Screenshot_20240202_103157_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240127_222520_Samsung Internet.jpg

They say in one of their blogs that they use 18mm and 12mm.

That doesn't really help does it :rofl:

I'm going for 18mm throughout in my build, with some 9mm for non structural.

Those pics above look like 18mm to me.

1000006470.jpg
1000005183.jpg

Oh and if you haven't already noticed, the hex covered ply is double the price (or more) of regular hardware ply. I can get 18mm in the big 2400x1200 sheets for £45 from my local builders merchants.

View attachment 228005
View attachment 228006
Comparing your pictures to theirs I think you may be right as they look similar sizes, but 18mm Birch ply normally has 11 plys, and I'm only counting 9.

Another thing that made me think it was possibly 12mm is that each sheet weighs approx 18kgs. I will use approx 86% of the 4 sheets, giving me a weight of 62kgs + 10kgs approx for the runners = 72kgs total weight The ply guys unit advises the approx overall weight is 64kgs. I understand different types of ply weigh differently and their design may differ from mine, but if I was to use 18mm, I'd be looking well over 100kgs. I'm so confused as like you say, it does look like it could possibly be 18mm but I'd imagine it would weigh a lot more than they are stating.

I've got an offcut of my 18mm ply here and it has 10 plys. Other stuff I've got only has 9. So the number of plys will vary between.

86% of 4x 2400x1200 sheets seems like a huge amount of material to me, it's likely their design has some weight saving it there, and it might use a combination of 18mm and 12mm.

Actually looking at this picture, compared to the unit on the left, it does look like 12mm Vs the 18mm of the other unit. Or maybe 18mm for the top and 12mm for the bottom and sides.

1000006546.png

I'm looking to build something similar to the ply guys assynt units in the back of my Kombi.
View attachment 227998

My initial though was to use 12mm to save on weight but several people has said they don't believe 12mm would be strong enough. The widest unsupported span the ply would have to cover is 516mm.

Looking at some pictures from the ply guys website, I'm unsure what thickness they use but it doesn't look as thick as 18mm to me. It has 9 plys which I believe indicates to 12mm but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what thickness they use or have experience building their own similar set up and what thickness they chose?

View attachment 227996
View attachment 227997
Oh I've got an actual Ply Guys fit out: Torridon + Clachan units. It's asymmetric (unlike the Assynt) which I really like btw. And I was literally just there today discussing my Phase 2 stuff (an extension to bed and a wee kitchen unit). I live about 5 mins away from them so it's kinda handy!!

Anyway, give me 5 mins and I will pop out and measure it for you!

Oh I've got an actual Ply Guys fit out: Torridon + Clachan units. It's asymmetric (unlike the Assynt) which I really like btw. And I was literally just there today discussing my Phase 2 stuff (an extension to bed and a wee kitchen unit). I live about 5 mins away from them so it's kinda handy!!

Anyway, give me 5 mins and I will pop out and measure it for you!
OK, it's 18mm!

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

PS and realised that that measure is a bit shite and it looks like they are 16.5mm but I went back and measure it with a better ruler: definitely 18mm for the body.
But the internal drawers - at least the sides - are 12mm.

PS and realised that that measure is a bit shite and it looks like they are 16.5mm but I went back and measure it with a better ruler: definitely 18mm for the body.
Absolute legend! Thank you very much!!!!

View attachment 227998

View attachment 227996
View attachment 227997
View attachment 227998

View attachment 227996
View attachment 227997
I’ve just come out to measure my Ply Guys install after seeing your post the other evening. I have the Torridon and Clachan install. The main construction ply is 18mm. The drawer sides are 12mm as are the flippy Uppys and floor. I’ll add some photos if it helps you.

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2953.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg

I did consider using 15mm as a middle ground to get more strength than 12mm but less weight than 18mm but it doesn't appear to exist up in the North East of Scotland .
Yes, 15mm ply is quite rare, most builders merchants don’t stock it, I had to do a special order too, I wanted it for the van floor

View attachment 228005
View attachment 228006
Did u ever build it johnny

15 mm isnt run of the mill but well worth it if you can get it. Very strong and looks nice in the hexy finish. Bit of light clear varnish on the edges to finish it off. I built my house battery and fridge box for my caddy i have some left so may use it on my floor in the T6.
7969CE6C-1FD0-45B1-B30C-FF7D82475A9C.jpeg

Back