The New I Pad Air.

Kind of Blue

T6 Guru
Has any one experienced the New I Pad Air and perhaps compared it to the lower cost I Pad. I was asked to buy one for a nephew who is at a 6th form and preparing for A Levels. I have never had anything like this and other than reading about them on the Apple site that is all I know. I appreciate that anything "New" is likely to be faster and have better interconnects. The air has a better screen The peripherals that one buy one may buy with the air are updated or different than the standard version depending on what it is, the pen and the key board. I know that most on here will be far more savey than I with these things and there are also likely to be more than a few experts I am sure that are well into apple products.

Is there a specific requirement for an iPad from the school/college ?
In my experience, most students need a laptop, ideally Windows based.

Pete

Is there a specific requirement for an iPad from the school/college ?
In my experience, most students need a laptop, ideally Windows based.

Pete
I have been led to understand that the majority of colleagues are using I Pad of one sort or another. That it is easy to use and convenient. I did wonder about a lap top but a I Pad is what has been suggested. I was just looking at the site and wondering which one. I wont buy the Pro not just because of its price but it is probably going to be updated as the air has snuggled up closer but also it is a lot of investment to be carting about all day and we all know how much teenagers are distracted and loose things. I will not by one with the Data Network as schools have Wi-Fi and I am not paying out for someone to be chatting nonsense text speak all day instead of doing what they are supposed to be doing. Wow, just listen to me, a regular Scrooge, a miserable git am I not.:rolleyes:

Microsoft surface is where its at for productivity and usefulness in a tablet form.

It's probably not blingy enough though... Kids of today :whistle:

Reactions: Jlo
I too think it is more bling factor than academic requirements!

I’ve just picked up two refurbished Lenovo Yoga 260 for my two boys (mainly for school work) that runs on an i5 processor. They have enough oomph, RAM and hard drive space. They’re also touch screen and come with a stylus in the base of each! For “pad” like experience, the screens fold all the way back....£500 for the pair of them!
Appeasing my inner Scrooge, at that price point, I will be less annoyed when the break them (as boys invariably will!)

Well, I suggested a lap top, even an Apple but no. Evidently taking notes and having the opportunity to take good images of relevant things on the I Pad makes it a more suitable tool at that level. To my mind the lap top would have lasted through A level years till University and possibly on through that. It would be faster have bigger memory and have a different versatility. It was left up to me but I bought what was wanted or needed.

Well, I suggested a lap top, even an Apple but no. Evidently taking notes and having the opportunity to take good images of relevant things on the I Pad makes it a more suitable tool at that level. To my mind the lap top would have lasted through A level years till University and possibly on through that. It would be faster have bigger memory and have a different versatility. It was left up to me but I bought what was wanted or needed.
Ha ha ha! I should have mentioned: my boys are 6 and 8! Daddy pays the mortgage driving a similar spec laptop....I’m buggered if they are going to waltz about with a better spec!

Bah! Humbug!

My son (12 years) has a laptop for school, I wouldn't recommend a ipad mainly due to the limitations of certain applications. A Windows based laptop would be the way to go in my opinion, if you're feeling like you need to lighten your wallet considerably then a Microsoft surface but generally somthing that nice isn't required! I wouldn't recommend anything rock bottom cheap either though. I got my son a laptop for his school work when he stared' big school', I also wanted somthing that he could use for gaming so its equipped with a fairly decent GPU (GTX 1070) I got it second hand for just under the going rate at the time for about £500 but I wouldn't recommend getting second hand if you don't know what you're looking at as it's a bit of a minefield!

You really need to consider the requirements for use, my son didn't require a laptop for school until 'big school'.

My son (12 years) has a laptop for school, I wouldn't recommend a ipad mainly due to the limitations of certain applications. A Windows based laptop would be the way to go in my opinion, if you're feeling like you need to lighten your wallet considerably then a Microsoft surface but generally somthing that nice isn't required! I wouldn't recommend anything rock bottom cheap either though. I got my son a laptop for his school work when he stared' big school', I also wanted somthing that he could use for gaming so its equipped with a fairly decent GPU (GTX 1070) I got it second hand for just under the going rate at the time for about £500 but I wouldn't recommend getting second hand if you don't know what you're looking at as it's a bit of a minefield!

You really need to consider the requirements for use, my son didn't require a laptop for school until 'big school'.
I completely agree. Unfortunately, Lockdown #1 drove the kids onto Google Classrooms (and drove parents to alcohol) which prompted me to buy them a laptop each. The touchscreen is just to keep it "blingy" enough for them.

My rule of thumb is that a laptop is for creation, an iPad for consumption!

Reactions: Jlo
A lot of colleges are using iPads now. (For years actually)
As of this week, with the announcement of the Apple Silicon based product, I would get him a new MacBook Air with Apple Silicon.
You can run all the apps that the iPad runs.
Most courses are now web based and the the office apps run on all platforms now.
If later on he has a need to run a Windows specfic application, then he can run it natively under Fusion.

A lot of colleges are using iPads now. (For years actually)
As of this week, with the announcement of the Apple Silicon based product, I would get him a new MacBook Air with Apple Silicon.
You can run all the apps that the iPad runs.
Most courses are now web based and the the office apps run on all platforms now.
If later on he has a need to run a Windows specfic application, then he can run it natively under Fusion.
Hi, It was the MacBook Air that I had eventually suggested, I was aghast when it kept returning to the I Pad with a key pad and pencil. So I just bought a I Pad Air with the highest memory key pad and pencil. One can only lead them to the water not make them drink it. I was told that the map book and the I pad had been tested but that the I Pad was preferable, partially due to the additional camera at the back. Comparatively in my mind the Map Book Air was far better and only slightly more expensive even with the highest spec.

It is not for me I was disappointed I thought that I had found something better and would be better value but what do I know. I was actually quite surprised that the Map Book Air was very little different in price when I first red up on it I thought it would be way more expensive just being an Apple. It must be the Apple bargain. that is if one can think of things in those terms with Apple.:giggle:

Thank you guys for the input. If I was buying again it would be the Map Book Air but I am no sales guy, I just say it how I read it and don not try to enforce my ideas. It is just give what is seen as the facts without distortion if humanly possible and then it is up to them.:rolleyes::)

Hi, It was the MacBook Air that I had eventually suggested, I was aghast when it kept returning to the I Pad with a key pad and pencil. So I just bought a I Pad Air with the highest memory key pad and pencil. One can only lead them to the water not make them drink it. I was told that the map book and the I pad had been tested but that the I Pad was preferable, partially due to the additional camera at the back. Comparatively in my mind the Map Book Air was far better and only slightly more expensive even with the highest spec.

It is not for me I was disappointed I thought that I had found something better and would be better value but what do I know. I was actually quite surprised that the Map Book Air was very little different in price when I first red up on it I thought it would be way more expensive just being an Apple. It must be the Apple bargain. that is if one can think of things in those terms with Apple.:giggle:

Thank you guys for the input. If I was buying again it would be the Map Book Air but I am no sales guy, I just say it how I read it and don not try to enforce my ideas. It is just give what is seen as the facts without distortion if humanly possible and then it is up to them.:rolleyes::)
What price was the MacBook Air coming in at?

What price was the MacBook Air coming in at?

Stormfront area official Apple reseller. i just looked for the smallest and most portable then specked it as high as it could go.

There are other resellers but stomfront was the cheapest by far. Apples own store is classed as a reseller and it sells at full price usually.

Stormfront area official Apple reseller. i just looked for the smallest and most portable then specked it as high as it could go.

There are other resellers but stomfront was the cheapest by far. Apples own store is classed as a reseller and it sells at full price usually.
Lovely. Thank you for the link

I use a MacBook Air, having had (and still have) a MacBook Pro and three iPads. The Air is definitely the way to go. Extremely light and far more useful/versatile than the iPad. The alternative (and an expensive one!) is an iPad Pro with detachable keyboard. Kids, eh?? :slow rofl:

I use a MacBook Air, having had (and still have) a MacBook Pro and three iPads. The Air is definitely the way to go. Extremely light and far more useful/versatile than the iPad. The alternative (and an expensive one!) is an iPad Pro with detachable keyboard. Kids, eh?? :slow rofl:
And parents around the country despair as they admit defeat!

This Siri thing, it does any thing one asks, right! Can some one ask it to disappear completely and not come back. Do one in more vernacular terms?

Back