Textured Plastic Dash - Double Sided Adhesive Pads

chappers0987

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of using a self adhesive double sided sticky pad that actually sticks and holds to the textured plastic on the T6.1 dash?

Everything I’ve tried seems to not stick or peels off relatively quickly. I’m trying to use it to hold a phone mount so nothing massively heavy.

Whilst the self adhesive 3m type pads stick to the glossy / smooth plastic around the head unit fine, the textured plastic has got me stumped for ideas!

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of using a self adhesive double sided sticky pad that actually sticks and holds to the textured plastic on the T6.1 dash?

Everything I’ve tried seems to not stick or peels off relatively quickly. I’m trying to use it to hold a phone mount so nothing massively heavy.

Whilst the self adhesive 3m type pads stick to the glossy / smooth plastic around the head unit fine, the textured plastic has got me stumped for ideas!
Years ago I bought a TomTom official part which was a shiny plastic disk with double sided on the back (to stick to a textured dash) and the suction cup stuck on the top face.
The pre-installed double sided tape was 3M and was a clear gel probably about 2mm thick. It had a red backing. Stuck really well for years, needed removing with dental floss but amazingly left no residue.

I would make sure you clean the dash well with isopropyl alcohol, let it thoroughly dry and try a 3m tape. Just be sure to buy it from a decent shop- not eBay or Amazon where there will be fakes. And don’t put any load on it for at least 24hrs. Preparation is key.

You could try the sticky pads that you can get for attaching GoPro camera mounts. They are made by 3M and when applied properly they seem to stay stuck. You can get packs of them on Amazon pretty cheaply.

As somebody else said, make sure you give it a good clean with isopropyl first. If you want to do a real job on it, use 3M tape and prep both surfaces with 3M adhesive primer but beware that's likely to be quite difficult to clean off properly should you ever need to go back.

Last edited:
Back