Telestart Retrofit Question

xnNntMw7n

Hi all,

In my T5.1 I have the Airtronic diesel heater from Eberpacher which is factory fitted and has the control panel fitted in the roof lining. I would love to have the ability to start it remotely and I believe that the telestart module and remote is what's needed to achieve that.

Everything I seem to be able to find regarding telestart seems to be directed at the Webasto heater.
So, to my questions:
  • Can I retrofit telestart with the Eberspacher heater?
  • If so, can anyone point me to the right direction of which kit or parts I would need?

Thanks a lot!

2024-01-13 19.34.12.jpg

Thanks, mmi. I did see an old thread with oldie contributed to but didnt quite answer the question. Heres hoping.

Sorry - been building a new computer and this one slipped through whilst transferring programs over.

Easystart R is the one that you need for that heater.

BUT, I don't know if the VW OEM fitment has different software to the standard heater. Usually they do have and you may have to use a VW solution - whatever that is.
I would contact Butler Technik or Stuart Mellor at Melloronline and they should be able to confirm one way or the other.

Sorry - been building a new computer and this one slipped through whilst transferring programs over.

Easystart R is the one that you need for that heater.

BUT, I don't know if the VW OEM fitment has different software to the standard heater. Usually they do have and you may have to use a VW solution - whatever that is.
I would contact Butler Technik or Stuart Mellor at Melloronline and they should be able to confirm one way or the other.
Thanks for the pointers, @oldiebut goodie. The German forums didn’t bring me much further forward, a few people asking similar questions. Consensus seems to be it is most likely an alternative control unit when factory fit but no definitive answer on successfully retrofitting EasyStart.
I will search further with the tips you gave. Appreciate you taking the time.

Small update on this after some research. Option 1 - you can but a kit and instructions for about 300EUR or Option 2- collect the bits you need yourself. To me it looks like what’s needed is...
  1. Control module: 8K0963271
  2. Antenna: It seems to be a GSM antenna with a Fakra plug Webasto Telestart Antenna with Fakra Connector
  3. Remote: 7E0963511D
  4. Wiring harness: Most control modules I have seen don’t come with any wiring harness, not yet verified but this looks to be suitable - Wiring for OEM Eberspacher Receiver - 8K0963271 - 4H0963271B -
It also looks like this setup was used on the T6 as well so should also be relevant.

Danhag is the main supplier - I would go with that if you use a mobile phone. I don't so on my Webasto I used the radio remote - good for up to 1000m. I wouldn't advise buying secondhand parts and making up the kit yourself, that is a can of worms with getting the correct module and remote paired up. I have numerous Webasto Telestart modules that will not pair up with the remotes for various reasons.
If you go for the Danhag solution make sure that you get the air heater version and not the water heater one. Then you know that the kit is all correct and will work. As you say 300 Euros is the price mark.
There doesn't seem to be a radio version that avoids using a phone for the factory fit B3.
VW T6 - APP-control for parking airheater

That Webasto antenna will not be suitable for the phone system - you need this one GSM window antenna
but note:
"GSM window antenna"
Window antenna suitable e.g. for DANHAG gsm-remote control.
Please note: The latest version of our APP-control (v11.x) does not have a connector for an external antenna. If you would like to use an external antenna you will need the front-cover with sma-connector art.no. 7001-004.
Under normal conditions, the receiving quality of the stub antenna are more than sufficient.
However, some vehicle come with metalized windows which can cause reception problems.
We recommend to use an external window antenna wich can easily connected to the DANHAG gsm-remote control instead of the stub antenna.

Thanks @oldiebut goodie. I also looked at Danhag. I agree with putting the bits together being a bit of a lottery… Primarily to add some more documentation here as the curated information and whats needed seems to be very sparse in the context of Eberspächer. For some reason, way more options and open info about for Webasto.

When searching the modules and parts I did find a breaker with the module, connector and paired remote for £40 which is tempting to have a bash at.

Back