Tailgate retrofit wiper motor kit

Paul Holmes

Camper Hire
T6 Guru
Hi newbie here I'm collecting my new van on Tuesday he has a solid tailgate so I want to retrofit heated glass and wiper motor kit has anyone carried out this any help gratefully received

Last edited:
Not done one personally but VW don't put in any cabling that isn't used so it will all need wiring back to the dash.
If you are planning on doing it in an OE fashion it will need to be wired back into the BCM and be aware you will need to replace your complete stalks for one with the motion for rear wiper, I imagine the heater would be slightly easier and won't require so many parts apart from the glass just wiring and dash button I'm thinking ?

Let me know if you need any help with parts and wiring info

I did one a couple of years ago and as Pauly says, no wiring so you have to do the lot. Not too bad to do though. You will need a rivnut gun to insert some captive nuts to mount the motor.

Not done one personally but VW don't put in any cabling that isn't used so it will all need wiring back to the dash.
If you are planning on doing it in an OE fashion it will need to be wired back into the BCM and be aware you will need to replace your complete stalks for one with the motion for rear wiper, I imagine the heater would be slightly easier and won't require so many parts apart from the glass just wiring and dash button I'm thinking ?

Let me know if you need any help with parts and wiring info

Morning all thanks for the speedy replies any idea of part nos needed?

@Pauly / @travelvolts i guess I’ll be in the same position with my glazed tailgate that has (no wiper but does have) heated glass - wiring, replacement climate control module and VCDS?

That's a good point, I was thinking of the front heated screen which is an independent button.
The rear button is integral to the AC/heating co trip panel and they are not cheap

@Pauly a converter put a module up for sale on another forum which, on checking the part number, came back to being a Passat module; I asked and they said they’re interchangeable. Is that right? There seems to be plenty of Passat parts out there compared to T6 parts!

Sometimes they are interchangeable but you have to be careful, there can be subtle differences and I'm not sure whether it is just down to programming or whether there are hardware differences. The other thing is, it is my understanding that all modules and other hardware on T6 is vehicle specific and cannot be exchanged between vehicles.

@Pauly a converter put a module up for sale on another forum which, on checking the part number, came back to being a Passat module; I asked and they said they’re interchangeable. Is that right? There seems to be plenty of Passat parts out there compared to T6 parts!

I really wouldnt like to say seems highly feasible though, i think its one of those where you wont know for sure until you try ?

Sometimes they are interchangeable but you have to be careful, there can be subtle differences and I'm not sure whether it is just down to programming or whether there are hardware differences. The other thing is, it is my understanding that all modules and other hardware on T6 is vehicle specific and cannot be exchanged between vehicles.

With regards to be vehicle specific i assume you mean component protection.
I plugged my van into ODIS a little while back and the only thing that came up as CP was the instrument cluster (CP master) and my discover media headunit, these seemed to be the only two parts that made up the system
My van is a standard highline with little options so its possible theres more bits that i dont have fitted ?

If you can get hold of the part no, google it and you'll find out what else uses it. I've done it a couple of times in the past and ended up getting the same part cheaper

Yes ODIS, couldn't the brain into gear earlier! I honestly don't know for sure, I'm just going off what a Master Tech at Listers told me a while back. Never a reliable source I know as they get told what VW want them to know but I think it is worth being cautious. I know a few people that got caught out with T5 modules using the same part number from different vehicles. Must be another identifier somewhere. Or, it could just have been faulty modules! Caveat emptor as they say in Rome!

Ordered part today for wiper motor retrofit today tps say I need a new bcm is this true ? Or can the original one be used ?

You have a highline so it will be the 090 variant which is the top one, dont see why it would need replacing, 090 has all functions built in

Thanks also need a solution for the heated rear window ordered the loom but refuse to pay £600 for a climate control panel might just wire it up through a switch with a timer relay thoughts ?

No reason you couldn't do that, provided the relay and wiring are adequately rated and the time period fits should be fine, you could even feed the timed output back to an OE switch so you have a visual indication of when it's on/off

Could I use the heated front screen switch to power a relay for the heated rear window glass any ideas ?

Back