Table installation

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well, it's nearly time to pack my van off for the line out! I can't make my mind up on the table type.....socket in the floor or the little rail attached to the side wall and flip out leg arrangement? I think I prefer the socket in the floor and pole arrangement.....but I'm not sure if I should be concerned about them drilling through my floor?
Any thoughts guys?

My preference would be the rail attached to the side wall. it gives you a bit of flexibility when it comes to position. The socket in the floor is pretty permanent! It's also a bit of a pimple in the middle of your lovely new vinyl flooring. I think also that some rail tables fold down and stay attached to the rail, which is handy for storing. If you have the hole and pole you have to find somewhere to store it when not using. Just my take on it. I'm doing a camper conversion on mine and will go for the table on a rail.

No, I'm leaving the soft padded VW floor down. I had a "hole and a pole" before and it wasn't an issue........my main concern is having someone drill through the floor of my shiny new (now leaking!) van!!

I was thinking about this last night and getting a swivel base for pax seat. I am going to go with rail attachment as not having my floor drilled.

Fiama do a three legged foldaway pole base or you could do the VW table in the door, it's not cheap but stows neatly and gives great fleability.

Fiama do a three legged foldaway pole base or you could do the VW table in the door, it's not cheap but stows neatly and gives great fleability.
I am thinking of getting this tripod leg to give us an option of using the table outside. However, I don't think using this tripod base alone would get around the table requirements for "motor caravan" classification, i.e. "The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table".

Oh didn't know the table was so important!
I have the VW door stowed table so not attached to the van permanently and my van has been reregistered as a motor caravan.

Oh didn't know the table was so important!
I have the VW door stowed table so not attached to the van permanently and my van has been reregistered as a motor caravan.
Do you have rails (permanently attached to the van) to mount it on (this would satisfy the requirements I believe)? Our friends have the same fiamma table as us in their conversion and use the tripod without the hole in the floor - they were just a bit creative with the photos they sent off to the DVLA for Motor Caravan classification - not sure where they would stand if pulled over or needed to make an insurance claim though.

For use the table is stand alone, for stowage it has a permanently attached stowage that it clips into, not much use as a table in that position though!

Rather have the rail on the wall & flip up, gives more room and you don't have the hole in the floor

Rather have the rail on the wall & flip up, gives more room and you don't have the hole in the floor
Our table and leg are neatly stored behind the driver's seat and the hole in the floor is not an issue (talking point as everyone who looks in the van asks what it is). However, so long as it doesn't impact on access to cupboards, etc., I think I tend to agree that I would prefer a table on rails - usually gives you options for moving along the rail to position differently and would, I suspect, give you a much more stable table.

Back