T6 Windscreen Replacement

narrative_escapes

T6 Pro
So, coming home on Saturday something flew up off the road and hit my windscreen. Let's assume it needs replacing. I just don't want to end up in some sort of crazy spiral of things not working afterwards.

It's a T6 and it has heated windscreens and automatic wipers. What's the odds of those giving me issues after the authorised insurance repairer replaces it?

Also my front window seems to be darkened around the edges and behind the front mirror. I have no idea how this got there at the moment whether it came with the yellow colour from VW or if the converter added the fancy glass. Either way is that likely to go in favour of plain glass?

Thanks

I had mine replaced recently
They asked on the phone wether it was heated
I do t think the auto wipers are part of the ‘windscreen’ so to speak
But all is working fine now it’s been done
Took less than an hour and they came out to work and did it

Did yours have clear glass right to the edge or did it have a darker edging around the windscreen and behind the mirror?

I ask purely because I'm not an expert on what's normal with the T6 - so I don't know if that darker surround is normal on all of them, just my yellow one or whether it was upgraded by the converter (they did upgrade the wheels, but never mentioned a window change so unlikely I assume).

I can check these thing tomorrow I guess but always curious.

Also, if you don't mind how much was it? Anything around £500 or below is fine but some forums are mentioning £1k or even higher which seems crazy.

it was dark around the rear view mirror bit
(I think)
It was a stone on motorway that hit it so insurance sorted it £100 excess
You don’t loose your no claims for windscreen

If its like our Passat and has 'driver assist' tech it may have to be done at their depot for them to set it up. :rolleyes:

Is it a standard replacement for windscreens then or is there options of cheaper to better? I think someone said to me ask for the blackened at the top, is that a thing? Presume that’s a kind of sunshade maybe! Only persuming, any advice very welcome

It's a standard part. Our previous van had the heated windscreen changed twice. It was a saga the 1st time as VW had changed suppliers & there was a shortage but the 2nd time was uneventful. They chuck water at the screen to test the sensor!

My T6 with heated windscreen and auto wipers was changed last year, I checked with the fitter if the new screen was heated before fitting and he confirmed it was. Only downside, is the heating element in the screen is now easier to notice, especially when wearing Polaroid glasses. Heated screen has been very useful this week!!

Ha ha I bet but that was the problem had a chip, got frosty, put heated screen on and boom! Big crack across the window!! Gutted, just hope they replace with a decent one, should do shouldn’t they? so what about this blackened bit across the top? Is that something or not?

Gonna research it abit when I get chance but thought obviously this is the place to come for expertise

If there gonna do it you want it done the best you can eh!! Ha ha anything to make the vans look better ha ha

We looked at the other ones in the Autoglass van and it's definitely on the thinner side.

Back