T6 Panel Conversion. Roof First?

Mistuk

Air-Traffic Controller
VIP Member
T6 Pro
hi there

Starting from a complete blank sheet in a t6 panel van, which bit should I get done first?

The roof?

Will you do be doing the majority of your conversion?
What kind of thing are you going for?

hi there

Starting from a complete blank sheet in a t6 panel van, which bit should I get done first?

The roof?
HI @Mistuk I had a Kombi so did a complete strip out first then sound deadening, some insulation and first run of cables as there was some I needed to go through the roof strengthening frame for the lights over the side door and passenger seat. I then got someone else to cut and fit the roof (Reiko) as I wanted it guaranteed and was chicken to cut a hole in a van with 16miles on the clock!

The fitters left it bare on inside ready for me to continue running cablIMG_20171112_154912~2.jpg es and then carpet it all around the frame later.

It worked for me.

I won’t be doing any of the conversion. I’m useless at any DIY and would make a pigs ear out of it!

I’m going to use skyline to do the roof, just wondered if it would be easier to get the roof done before I get the conversion company to do their bit.

Going to do a camper conversion with 129cm 3 seatbelt Rib in the rear

Kev

hi there

The roof?
It was roof first for us, sound-deadening and insulation, then we bought the bed, the windows come next weekend and then the floor and the kitchenette. Wiring will be done alongside the floor as will the water tanks and heater. Final thing will be alloys and springs.

You’ll find that you always manage to find loads of bits of fallout - filings from the roof once you start doing other things, so having it done first is a good thing in that sense, plus it means the biggest job financially is out of the way and that you can actually use the van to camp in, albeit in the fashion of a simple tent on wheels

I done my windows and sound deadening first then got the roof done but only because the sca was on back order. The roof can be messy with swarf (even if they try and catch it all) so best doing it first. Also many converters won’t fit a roof if you already have your furniture and RIB fitted for fear of damage so definitely don’t leave it to last

Back