T6 Not starting - advice needed from starter/ignition folk.

mommabear

Account Closed
T6 Pro
Guys and Gals
Another one for you.

2016 T6 starting issue.

Yesterday I tried to start my other T6 and I think I've got a problem.
I dont use this van much as I'm working on it gradually -
Had a new battery 4 months ago and started fine - the Cold weather and infrequent starting has given the battery a bit of a slogging I've no doubt.
Tried to start it yesterday morning, started ok (if a bit slowly)
Since then, - slow turn over and no start - then nothing at all even with a new battery on.

Fitted a new battery, turned the key, nothing. Totally dead
Slight whirring sound (very quiet) probably fuel pump, and then pigs tails start flashing.

So to summarise the issues

KNOWN GOOD THINGS:
1) Battery Good
2) Power to dash ok
3) Power to ignition ok
4) Started ok (if a bit slowly) the day before.

KNOWN BAD THINGS:
1) Nothing happens since yesterday when trying to start - no clicks, no slow crank, absolute zip even with new battery.

THEORIES SO FAR.
1) Could it be starter gone?
2) Could it be solenoid stuck due to flat battery?
3) Could this be a fuse?

QUESTION:

Is there anything I could try, before I start yanking things out.

thanks guys

got a voltage reading from the replacement battery when the IGN switched on?

got a couple of pics of the starter batter and connections.?

make sure all the cables are connected properly.

a low battery voltage will cause increased current and possible main fuse to blow.

have you got a jump pack handy too? - or other battery and jump leads?

Yeah I've got my normal van to jump it - didn't work when I tried on the old battery and the new battery same thing happening.
Where is the fuse Dell? could be that couldn't it before I start the ball ache job of getting the starter out.

Guys and Gals
Another one for you.

2016 T6 starting issue.

Yesterday I tried to start my other T6 and I think I've got a problem.
I dont use this van much as I'm working on it gradually -
Had a new battery 4 months ago and started fine - the Cold weather and infrequent starting has given the battery a bit of a slogging I've no doubt.
Tried to start it yesterday morning, started ok (if a bit slowly)
Since then, - slow turn over and no start - then nothing at all even with a new battery on.

Fitted a new battery, turned the key, nothing. Totally dead
Slight whirring sound (very quiet) probably fuel pump, and then pigs tails start flashing.

So to summarise the issues

KNOWN GOOD THINGS:
1) Battery Good
2) Power to dash ok
3) Power to ignition ok
4) Started ok (if a bit slowly) the day before.

KNOWN BAD THINGS:
1) Nothing happens since yesterday when trying to start - no clicks, no slow crank, absolute zip even with new battery.

THEORIES SO FAR.
1) Could it be starter gone?
2) Could it be solenoid stuck due to flat battery?
3) Could this be a fuse?

QUESTION:

Is there anything I could try, before I start yanking things out.

thanks guys
“Pig tails”. Never heard it called that! Like it. :cool:

Good luck getting it sorted.

main fuses are under the battery tray. . .

another thing to look at are the main Earth / Ground connections . . . one of @Loz first pointers with power issues.

the battery NEG cable and Engine NEG cable. (one way to test is to get a jump lead from the battery NEG post to a chassis ground - to temporarily add a new ground point from chassis to battery)

The small fuse box next to the battery I’ve had a few now where the fuses get corrosion on these and these bring eml lights on too, take them out one by one check them and clean them better still put new ones in check the terminals I clean them with needle files and close the terminals up too

post some pics for us to see . . . or even a small vid

Right ok - ill go and whip the fuses out and check them - there's a little pot of fuses with a lift off lid next to the battery tray if thats what you mean?
Start there - in fairness - I did have a random look at a couple but theres billions and I gave up.

Right ok - ill go and whip the fuses out and check them - there's a little pot of fuses with a lift off lid next to the battery tray if thats what you mean?
Start there - in fairness - I did have a random look at a couple but theres billions and I gave up.
Yes that’s the one I’m on about , there are a couple fuses in there that can cause major dramas

@Niknak is refering to the small SB Engine fuse box. ( The main fuses are under the battery, and battery tray)

VW T6 Fusebox - Fusebox/Fuse Chart SB - Engine Fusebox

1614522644157.png

I had it on mine few days after picking it up, it just cranked over and over and it was one of the fuses in this box was all scabby

Check them all I can’t remember tbh but my behind did twitch after only owning three or so days lol,

I remember it being one of the normal size ones not the maxi type, I’d be supprised if you don’t find oxidation on a couple

got a voltage reading from the replacement battery when the IGN switched on?

got a couple of pics of the starter batter and connections.?

make sure all the cables are connected properly.
So reading wise -

Battery just sat in place 12.96v
Battery when attempting to crank 12.34v

Back